I’m writing this sitting in the Golden Lounge at Heathrow, as I wait for my Malaysia Airlines flight to Kuala Lumpur this evening. A month or so ago the PR for Malaysia Airlines approached me to see if I would be interested in a food story in KL and in Penang, with chef Richard Corrigan, who has developed dishes for their new inflight menu,

Of course I jumped at the chance, as I lived in Malaysia, in Ipoh, before university, and have travelled there more times than I can recall since. (I even speak a little Bahasa Malaysia.) I would travel a long way to eat Malaysian food: it is utterly wonderful.

Because it is a long way to travel for a short trip, I asked to have my outward bound flight brought forward to today, so that I could make a side trip to the Philippines, to take up a long standing invitation to visit The Farm at San Benito, a holistic retreat about an hour and a half south of Manila.

Then the awful events of last week happened and, of course, MA postponed the press trip activities, as they have much more important things to deal with now than a bunch of lifestyle journalists. However, they have very kindly allowed me to keep my flights, to experience the inflight menu – of which more later, and visit Kuala Lumpur, and so I am off to Manila tonight via KL, and then spending two nights in KL on my way home.

See you in KL tomorrow!

Wow, you couldn’t pass up on a opportunity like that! I enjoyed some much needed spa time on Monday which was fabulous so enjoy your time at the retreat and take lots of pics please!

@Fashion Follows Her: Thank you! Yup, there’ll be lots of pics! LLGxx

Have a safe trip and have fun!

I lived in Malaysia in the early 1970 s (my first husband was Malay) and I have a great fondness for the country and its people.

As for Malay food, I love it, and still cook versions of it now: sambal blachan, peanut sauce, Penang Laksa (the sour one with fish) and the mixed vegetable and fruit salads with peanut sauce and not to mention satay.

I look forward to your posts. So pleased you are doing the trip it; can only be helpful to the beleaguered Malaysian airlines.

My deepest sympathy for everybody involved in the terrible tragedy.

@Sue: I was lucky enough to be taught to cook here, and Malaysian food is amongst my absolute favourite ever!

And, yes, I think it is important to keep on going.

LLGxx

Enjoy your trip. What an amazing opportunity!

On a more serious note, let’s hope they find out what happened to that plane soon. x

@Beautiful Things: Thank you. I know: it’s is very moving to be here at KLIA, where there is a huge thoughts wall. The daily press conferences are taking place at the hotel where I am staying this evening. LLGxx

Did you ever go to Ipoh swimming club?

@Carrie Kitkat: Yes! Goodness I had forgotten all about that. LLGxx

RT ”Malaysia Airlines says in Beijing that they will not pay for the hotel costs of #MH370 family members after tonight. pic.twitter.com/lLFtGt5MYk”

…but they can pay for PR trips.

@Flygirl: You seem to be misunderstanding what I wrote in this post. I am NOT on a press trip with Malaysia Airlines. The trip I was booked on was cancelled in the immediate aftermath. MA have given me a seat on a plane. That is all. They are not paying for any other part of my trip whatsoever.

Love Malaysia (though try not to think to much about the politics – can’t believe they’ve arrested the opposition leader again).

Particularly like Malaysian Indian food – those rotis – oh yum, yum, yum.

Nice to meet you on the Air Asia flight today looking foward to your Farm review.

I had not realised that you lived in Malaysia before nor speak a little Bahasa. I’ve been reading you for years (thanks to a recommendation from my friend Amanda) and this together with the picture of breakfast makes me smile. Hope you’re having a good trip. Sad about the missing plane.