Parkway-grocer

Imagine my glee when I realised that the building works that have been taking place for the last four and a half months, not far from my front door in the old Parkway tanning salon, were on behalf of a greengrocers. Yes, that’s right, a proper, old fashioned greengrocers, with brown paper bags.

Parkway-grocer

Please excuse the rather local note of the post, but I am hopping with excitement at the knowledge that less than a minute away is a shop that sells everything I like to eat.

I just wish it had been open during the last three months of frantic cookery as I completed my first cookbook Friends, Food, Family, – which will be published here in the UK by Quadrille on September 25th.

(There’s a 15% discount on signed pre-order copies at Waterstones at the moment – click through box in the right hand side bar, or buy from Amazon here)

Parkway-grocer

Camden in North London is blessed with lots of places to do your greengrocery shopping, but few of them are independent, many are expensive, and none of them sell everything you might need.

Parkway-grocer

Store-wise I head mostly to the huge Morrison’s supermarket, which does have an exceptionally wide range, including, in season, samphire, kohlrabi, chard and other esoterica, but it’s far from perfect. Sainsbury’s and the Co-op don’t move much beyond the basics, Marks & Spencer quality is wonderful but stock is limited and Not Cheap, and Whole Foods’ veg prices are just ludicrous.

Parkway-grocer

Parkway-grocer

But my (and it is so going to be my) new greengrocers sells five types of carrot, eight types of onion, twelve types of tomato, thirteen apple varieties, three of cauliflower, three of beet, and every soft fruit you could need, from mangosteens to redcurrants (I know that out of season these are of limited appeal, but when you need to shoot a summer pudding in February, a redcurrant purveyor takes on god-like status).

Parkway-grocer

And then there’s an entire wall of dried fruits, nuts, oils, vinegars, syrups and other cooking ingredients. Much of it organic, all of it keenly priced.

Parkway-grocer

It’s no wonder that Mr Ottolenghi now does his daily grocery shop here.

Parkway-grocer Parkway-grocer

But, most joyfully, the prices are absolutely bang on. £1.25 for the perfectly ripe avocado I had for my lunch. 35p for a single duck egg. Sure you can buy an organic English cauliflower for £2.25 (and you should, they are delicious), but there is an imported one for half the price too.

Parkway-grocer Parkway-grocer

Edited to add: Parkway Greens now deliver to local addresses, as well as providing a wholesale service for local restaurants and food businesses.

Parkway Greens, 52 Parkway, Camden, London, NW1 7AH

If you ever make it up to Belsize Village, Crescent Fruiterers is fabulous. Been there for years, amazing selection and quality and good prices.

The raspberries from Driscolls that have 1.95 marked on the them are selling in Australia from the Australian branch of Driscolls at $14.98, yes fourteen Australian dollars and ninety eight cents, they are even grown in Australia! That is seven pounds and forty nine pence for a punnet of raspberries, an in season fruit!!!!

Love this place. Live around the corner so been in a few times. Want to try the lot. Just to note that the Inverness St veg barrows have been gone since mid last year unfortunately.

OMG! I don’t live in Camden but I get super excited whenever there is an opportunity to buy Fruit and Veg in brown paper bags, so I share your joy!Takes me back to childhood when I loved the Greengrocers near where I grew up, they had a special wooden shoot for the Potatoes. Gosh I miss that kind of thing, whenever I find something like this now I go gaga over it! Don’t get me started on farm shops! I love em!

Looking forward to trying this new local out. I agree in regards to Marks & Spencer’s/ Waitrose great quality. Wholefoods eats up my salary- extortionate for fruit & veg! Borough market isn’t far from my work, but also a great place to pick up different sorts of veggies. Alexandra Palace has a great farmers markets on Sundays, very popular with locals.

Tara

Hi there, I spotted this yesterday when I was popping to Wholefoods on Parkway for some greens and was delighted to find Parkway Greens far more affordable.. as well as being a joy to look at! All fruit and veg in a row… wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

How lovely! Would like something similar round the corner from me in Flushing. A cut above the typical corner store

That’s good to know. Much needed – especially as the last remaining fruit and veg stall in Inverness Street has packed up for good. x

My happy place – such a shame it’s so far away… x

Thanks for letting us know about this fab shop, I now work in Camden so will pop over on my lunch hour! Hx