The Power 1000: London’s Most Influential People 2013

by Sasha Wilkins on September 24, 2013 · 22 comments

Battersea-Power-Station

To be honest I found the news hard to process when I was told that I was on The Evening Standard’s London’s Most Influential People list in 2012, our extraordinary Olympic year, and when I was invited to this year’s party at Battersea Power Station last Thursday I presumed it was as party filler, having been previously included.

So I was gobsmacked when a friend bounded up to Richard and me to say congratulations half way through the evening. (The list wasn’t published until 9pm.) Two years in a a row!

It didn’t really sink in though until we left and looked up at the huge chimneys of Battersea with the Power 1000 logo projected up on high. I’m thrilled to have been included twice, and especially as a blogger, amongst a list of imaginative and innovative people that I respect, admire, and like from the worlds of fashion, design, tech, law, business, art, drama and more.

power-1000

The seven year anniversary of LLG was a few weeks ago, and that knowledge is just as hard to process as my inclusion on these lists. I owe huge thanks, of course, to all of you, because without my readers, there would be a blog, but there wouldn’t be these achievements, which do mean a lot to me and my family, and for that I am profoundly grateful for every single reader who takes the time to read, to comment, to challenge, to listen, to support, to write, to turn up.

Here’s me and Richard looking cheery at the party. The full Power List is here.

sasha-wilkins

I do wish tho that they hadn’t put in my bio that I had built my ‘entire career’ around LLG. My previous career in publishing, as editor, stylist and journalist, and my experiences both good and bad within it, gave me the skills I needed to take this blogging adventure full time…

London-power-1000-most-influential-londoners

Picture at top: Alex Lentati for The Evening Standard

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

Tien September 24, 2013 at 03:07

Dear Sasha,
First off, congratulations!! I stumbled upon LLG a few years ago when I relocated to Shanghai. I just wanted to say how much I love reading LLG. Your writings, the causes you care about, and your adventures, have all been so inspiring. I used to live in Camden when studying in London, and it’s always fun to read your post on Camden. Brings back memories. Thank you.

Lucy Rose Singh September 24, 2013 at 03:21

Good for you well done! My Grandfather John Betjeman used to call the Battersea Power station an upside down table and I have always thought of it as that! Many congratulations I love your blogs!
Lucy a Brit living in NY

Sue September 24, 2013 at 05:06

Congratulations, very well done.

Lucy September 24, 2013 at 07:49

Congratulations!

Esther Bielawski September 24, 2013 at 08:31

Congratulations LLG! Well deserved and I love the way you wrote about this – proud but humble at the same time, it felt perfect. At the risk of coming across all mushy (creepy?) you inspire me every day with what you do – both in your blog and your business (which I’d love to see more ‘behind the scenes’ detail on, if that’s possible? I love the updates and pictures that you do provide, but I’m sure there is far more work that we don’t actually see) and LLG is one of only a couple of blogs that I check daily without fail. And one of the things that I have always admired is that you built your blogging career following an already successful one in publishing, your regular and loyal readers will know this, and again it inspires those of us who are considering a switch to something new, to go ahead and to give it a go. Again, congratulations xx

Christina September 24, 2013 at 08:32

Well done Sasha! You absolutely, totally deserve it. x

Anne Fousse September 24, 2013 at 10:28

Congratulations Miss Sasha! Well-deserved. x

Fashion Follows Her September 24, 2013 at 13:09

Congrats darling and much deserved…. xx

Nicola September 24, 2013 at 13:36

Congratulations! have been a reader of your blog for several years now (not that you would know it from my shameful lack of comments) and have always thoroughly enjoyed your posts.

penny September 24, 2013 at 13:40

Sasha
You thoroughly deserve the award – I’ve been following you for a few years now – I really admire the way you promote British fashion, British craftsmanship, your wry take on life and your fearlessness when it comes to promoting the needs of those less fortunate (thinking of your pieces on dyspraxia and MS etc and your taking -to-task of businesses and shopping centres who don’t cater for everyone!!)
Your pieces for Red magazine have been delightful – you make the world of fashion seem accessible to country mice like me and you keep it grounded in real life but you never lose that spark of imagination and and sense of wonder at creativity.
I have long enjoyed my window on your life – long may it continue!
This gushing gratitude is not very British I know but sometimes people need to know how special they really are. Good luck for all you do in the future!
PS When is your cookery book coming out?!!!!!!!!!! Love your food!!