sunday lunch table

Cooking Sunday lunch for my friends has always been one of my favourite things to do, and I am lucky enough to have a beautiful dining room here in London. My sister is quite perky at the moment, so I hosted an NYE reunion yesterday, and asked Brig along for the sixth seat, as I don’t see nearly enough of her.

sunday lunch

leg of lamb

On the menu: roast leg of lamb, studded with garlic slivers, ┬ámassaged with a paste of pounded anchovies and butter, and sprinkled with Maldon salt, cauliflower puree, roast potatoes in olive oil, Hedgehog potatoes, and runner beans. Pudding was a golden sugar Pavlova with whipped cream and strawberries. I stuck candles in it as I’ll be missing Rachel’s birthday: I’m off to Rio on Monday.

sunday lunch

There was a seventh guest, who was wriggling in paroxysms of anticipation.

sunday lunch

I made a roasted aubergine puree for pre lunch snackage, and cucumber and celery sticks for scooping it up.

sunday lunch

roast lamb

roast lamb

Hope springs eternal.

sunday lunch

sunday lunch

We started with Champagne, and moved on to two bottles of Margaux, a 2003 Chateau Cantenac Brown, which my mother had bought from Miss P, at Goedhuis, and then given to me as part of my Christmas present. (It was, unsurprisingly, phenomenally good.)

chateau cantenac brown

I peeled 1.5kg (about 5lbs) of Maris Pipers for the roasties, (which worked out as six each and ten extra) and another 750gms for the Hedgehogs (that’s 2.5lbs) and EVERY single potato was eaten. Pigs.

sunday lunch

Even that solitary, languishing roastie got swiped by my sister.

sunday lunch

We sat and chatted for hours, fuelled by red wine and then Nespresso shots and cappuccinos.

chateau cantenac brown

One of our party passed out after a roast lamb binge

2013-08-25 19.18.26

After Rach, Brig and Holl departed, Hannah and Mark and I got stuck in the fourth bottle, and when they left at 2040hrs, I remembered that I was supposed to be at a party in Soho. A very quick change into my party dress later, followed by a sweep of bright lipstick, and I was Hailo-ing it to Anna and Tim’s 10 year wedding anniversary party.

LOVE the special postage stamps which they commissioned for the invitations.

2013-08-18 19.58.34

dancing girl

Anna wore this beautiful dress from Ted Baker. She looked incredible. Sadly I had to hoof it early, as there was a lot of packing to be done: I’m being picked up at Heathrow to go straight to The Big Feastival in Oxfordshire on Friday evening, as a guest of Boden, so my sister will be bringing along my pre-packed festival supplies in the car. (There’s no point in dragging Hunters, Barbour, flower crowns, fleecy nightie, cowboy boots and the rest to Rio…)

The lamb looks very fine wrapped in its beautiful butcher’s paper – and looks even more amazing cooked and sliced. I seem to remember from past posts you are veggie? So hope you had something equally glorious as cook’s reward!
(Love Possetta B’s pink tongue pose!)

@Sally: Thank you very much! That dog is *such* a poseur. I ate a LOT of roast potatoes…reward in themselves! LLGxx

Seriously, leave fashion and just go open a restaurant! ­čÖé That meal sounds, and looks, amazing. You’d have lines around the block.

@K-Line: Thanks lovely lady! I actually cooked for around sixty people last week, and I think once in a while is enough for me! LLGxx

Even though I don’t eat meat, this sounds so decadent and lovely! Hope you had a wonderful long weekend S!

P.S. I was meant to be going to the Big Feastival with Boden too but sadly can’t (my Dad is here from Australia for this weekend only); so sad I’ll miss the opportunity for a countryside jaunt with you!

B xx

@A Girl, A Style: We missed you this weekend, but hope you had a lovely time with your father. LLGxx

Wow, I’m envious of your dining room! Living in Singapore means I’m housed in an apartment and rarely do we have some nature (sun and greens) in our lives. Hopefully my future home will have a space like yours!

xoxo,
Roxanne

@Roxanne C.: I do love it here: I spent two years on the road in America when I was starting the blog, and I can’t tell you how much it means to me to have some space – and green now.LLGxx

You are such a good cook! That’s why they ate it all. Seriously, your lamb looks perfectly cooked. Lovely setting with all your friends.

@Gina: Thank you Gina! I’ve been experimenting with a new digital thermometer, and I’m really loving how precise you can be with the cooking/colour of the meat. LLGxx

The recipe for the aubergine puree please! Sounds divine!

@Celia Murray: Hi Celia, I’m actually developing recipes for an LLG cookbook right now, so I’m not going to be putting original ones up on LLG for a while, but I am going to be cooking food from other authors I admire, so will look for something aubergine-y! LLGxx