LLG Video: Kitchen Equipment: The Matstone 6 in 1 Macerating Cold Press Juicer

by Sasha Wilkins on August 15, 2013 · 7 comments

(click through here to watch the film if you are reading this on The Daily Email or on a mobile device)

I’d never really engaged with the whole juicing movement until I did the Raw Fairies five day juice delivery. I really enjoyed it, didn’t feel at all hungry and appreciated the break from big meals. Then last fashion week Radiance Cleanse sent me taster pack of six juices as an on-the-go nutritional boost, and I found them a much better option than mainlining Haribo, as is my usual wont, on the front row and in the back of the car.

cold press juicing

I was lucky enough to be offered a press trial of both regimes, but if you want to make juicing part of your daily routine, then delivery is a pretty wallet emptying regime. So I bought myself a juicer. And I’ve made a little film about it below. If you don’t want to watch, there’s more info below the video box.

To sum up: There are two main types of juicer: centrifugal and cold-press.

After much research I decided to invest in the cold press (sometimes referred to as masticating) Matstone 6 in 1 Juicer. My main criticism of the pre-made juices I had delivered was that they were way too sweet for me. I don’t have a sweet tooth, and I prefer the slow glycaemic  burn of vegetable juices. However the juicers generally on sale in department stores are centrifugal versions and they aren’t equipped to juice leaves.

That’s because they work by extracting the juice using a sharp spinning blade which chops and spins against a metal strainer. The juice is separated from the flesh by the centrifugal force generated by the blade and pressed through the strainer. If you put leaves in this juicer they would simply be whizzed into tiny pieces, without having their juice extracted.

Cold-press juicers work by using a heavy metal borer to slowly mash and press fruit, leaves and vegetables to extract the juice. That means you can put through kale and spinach as well as seeds and pithy fruits. There’s also no need to peel or core fruits as everything gets pressed by the borer. It’s a doddle to clean too, taking under 30 seconds to rinse the moving parts, and is incredibly quiet to operate.

There is also a theory that the heat generated by the spinning blade  in the centrifugal juicer destroys beneficial enzymes in the fruit. It’s a real workhorse of a machine because it doesn’t just juice, it can grind nuts and seeds, make purees and sauces, and nut butters.

GREEN JUICE: This is a great everyday recipe for a cold press juicer, and provides enough for a sensible glassful each two people.

1 x apple
half a bunch of kale (I used red kale for extra nutrition points)
1 x Kiwi Fruit
2 big handfuls spinach
quarter cucumber
five or so stalks of flat leaf parsley
coconut water to dilute to preferred thickness

Optional nutritional extras to be whisked in at the end:
1 level teaspoon of wheatgrass powder
1/2 sachet Baobab powder (I used Aduna)
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger (I used Wakaya Perfection Organic Ginger Powder from SpaceNK)

Do go easy on the powdered nutrients that you can add in. I got a little over-excited in Whole Foods, not really thinking about what taste and texture these supplements would add to the finished juice, and bought lots of wonderful sounding packets of health, including Spirulina and Wheatgrass.

Well, having added a heaping teaspoon of wheatgrass powder to a juice serving for two people, I have one word for you: pondwater. Of course you’ll want to experiment with quantities yourself for, after all, one person’s pondwater cocktail is another’s delightful green juice but, in general, remember the sensible maxim: you can always add more, but you can’t take it away.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Catherine August 15, 2013 at 14:58

What a very interesting and informative film. Thank you. I am really tempted to buy one now. What do you do with the left over pulp? I was wondering if a dog would eat it? My dog loves vegetables of any kind. Have you ever added chia seeds? I happen to love wheatgrass juice (used to get one every day in California) so I would probably like the powder. Also, have you ever added protein powder for a complete meal?

annemarie August 15, 2013 at 20:32

I bought cold-press juicer a few years ago, but I gave it away after about two years use and bought a Vitamix instead.

Of course, the cold press made great juice. But on the negative side:

1) I was appalled at the amount of waste (the fibrous stuff), and I don’t compost so I found I was throwing out loads of food. Some people use it to thicken soups, so I tried that– disgusting, don’t do it. I used to be really into wholefood philosophy (turned vegetarian at age 13, ran my own catering biz, took courses with Paul Pitchford etc), and I still believe that, like all food (including milk), vegetables are supposed to be consumed and digested WHOLE, ie. with their fibre intact.
2) So much produce goes into a single glass. Expensive organic produce. And for every glass of delicious organic green juice I made, I produced about three times that amount of expensive organic waste. My green juice began to feel like a decadent first world indulgence! And I felt bad about that.
3) Time. Jesus, it takes a long time to cold press enough carrots and kale to fill a glass. Also, call me lazy, but I found the clean up and the washing up to be quite time consuming.

The Vitamix is also really expensive but it’s a much better multi-tasker. Yes, essentially it chops vegetables, but the horse power is so high, it literally takes seconds (and I mean literally in a literal sense), so there is not as much prolonged heat production. No doubt, there is some vitamin loss, but eating veggies whole and with their fiber intact makes them easier to digest, so you know, six of one… In terms of time, the Vitamix cannot be beat– no separate parts, so easy to rinse out after each use. So basically, I made the right decision, for me, to trade my juicer for the Vitamix.

Final note:
I’ve long known about the benefits of green powder, but like you couldn’t stomach it. Until I met this product:
It’s delicious! I actually eat it in yoghurt in the morning. The ingredients are great and it apparently contains no artificial sweetners. Even my husband loves it and he has the palate of a 7 year old.

K-Line August 16, 2013 at 02:19

Sasha – this is the best commercial for juicers I’ve ever seen! I’m practically ready to get one and I’m so not into juice. The view from the room you’ve filmed in is just gorgeous. Is that your place in London? Or are you out in the country somewhere?

Hayley August 16, 2013 at 10:46

Excellent and informative video for juicing newbies. I’ve got the Matstone too and I love it! Best purchase this year. I sit typing, with a vibrant green juice on day 6 of a DIY cleanse. Perfect post holiday de-bloat.

Like you, I tried a 100% veg juice, it was so disgusting it almost drove me to the nearest sandwich shop but I persevered!

Emma August 16, 2013 at 14:23

This was so helpful, I’ve been looking for something better than the juicer attachment on my food processor – so difficult to clean!
My go to juice is apple, spinach, cucumber, mint and lime (+ chia and wheatgrass) – really delicious, just like a green lemonade

bengardener August 17, 2013 at 14:25

This is a well known fact that centrifugal juicers generate heat and by doing so destroy beneficial nutrition. On the other hand masticating types of juicers exist that don’t generate any heat. For a long time I use this model http://juicerreviewspro.com/omega-j8006-juicer-reviews.html and it is never let me down. It is especially good to juice leafy greens.

tiggyt August 19, 2013 at 03:31

Just FYI: baobab = bay-obab, not bow-bab; this might spare you a smug correction such as I received a few years ago upon asking for “kwinoha” rather than “keen-wa” (i.e. quinoa)!