topshop dress sasha wilkins

I loathe shopping. It is hands down my least favourite activity. I can never squeeze my chest into anything off the peg, nothing has sleeves, changing rooms have mirrors that make me want to never eat again, and there are PEOPLE everywhere. (Can you tell I am a little bit agoraphobic?)

But I needed (need being relative) some shoes for Ascot last week and, after asking you kind people which shoes I should buy, I went to Topshop Oxford Circus on Wednesday afternoon to try on the orange pointy toe stilettos. Unfortunately the cut wasn’t right on my feet, so no new shoes for me. (I wore my scarlet Kurt Geiger London Elliots instead.)

However somehow I managed to buy three dresses and two tops. In Topshop. TOPSHOP. Which of course I heart, but which has been sadly lacking in clothes that a woman in her thirties who wears a bra, eschews skin tight/waisted/pussy pelmets etc etc, and who doesn’t think it clever to flash her boobs or her knickers, could wear.

I spy the influence of Kate Phelan, Topshop’s Creative Director, and a grown up woman of immaculate taste, because all three of my dresses had SLEEVES. And the tops – which were the same, but in blue and in black, had a lovely drape-y front to hide my tummy,  camouflage my chest, whilst still giving a peak of cleavage that wouldn’t scare the horses.

I loved this dress so much that I snapped it in the Topshop changing room (nice, roomy, good light and mirrors, and lots of pegs). The dress at top is the Aztec Print Shirtdress, £45. It is 100% meltable, but that also comes with the advantage of being uncrease-able, and scrunch up into a ball-able for travelling. It works because it is has sleeves, but they are sheer-ish so not too matronly, falls to exactly the right place above the knee, has a shirt opening so doesn’t look too puritan, is flippy, so feels summery, but comes with a slip so no accidental flesh on show.

(The shoes are my Pierre Hardy brown leather & wood shoes from his spring 2009 Limited Edition collection for Gap, which I wrote about here.)

I haven’t set foot in Top Shop since I turned 30 – maybe it’s time for a reintroduction!
Becs
miscriant.blogspot.co.uk

@Becky: I was amazed: I’ve bought accessories and make up there, but no clothes in ages – and then BAM five things! LLGxx

@LLG: Lovely dress on you – can you post a pic or a link to the tops please? They also sound right up my street – I’m of similar proportions to you 🙂

Love that dress and I’m amazed how great you look IN A CHANGING ROOM no less! They’re the most unflattering places around and you look great, I take my hat off to you 🙂

There is very good light in the Topshop changing rooms! LLGxx

You look lovely!

I have this dress. I bought it last week and I’m planning on wearing it on holiday to Marrakech in September. What’s great is that when I’ve worn it as a dress I can remove the slip from underneath and wear the top half as a semi-sheer kaftan – all for £45 – result!

You look super slim.
You dress well and possess the key ingredient in life – being happy in one self.

That’s a really nice dress, the collar / front trim is super, what a bargain. I keep meaning to ask you whether you run, I have a very similar physique to you (spookily, we could be toe twins) and didn’t start till my mid 30s but find it suits me very well.

Great dress! I understand what you say about boobs, I think mine make up half my body weight….

Looks extremely attractive. What other dresses and tops did you buy? I haven’t been to Top Shop for over a year and that time was to look for a parka which was a fruitless search.