This is my honed to perfection travel kit. A £3 clear plastic make up bag from John Lewis, that can be scrubbed clean, I keep it packed and ready to go for trips, so there’s no faffing around with decanting and tracking down missing bits and pieces. It has everything I could possibly need, from face cream and serum to nail varnish remover and a razor. I label the clear pots with my label machine so I don’t forget what’s in them: no cleaning my face with shampoo or moisturising my face with conditioner. The sizes in here will last me up to ten days away.
I’ve taken it in my carry-on plenty of times, although if I was stopped, I would just ditch the bigger cheap stuff like the anti-perspirant. At £1.15 it’s not an issue.
As well as the everyday basics, I always pack a razor and a pot of body enhancer, as most trips seem to involve a dinner or a smart-ish event and I rarely have time to shave my legs or self tan before I leave. I like Nars Illuminator, which acts as a bronzer, and makes my limbs all glossy. (If I’ve got room I also pack a can of my beloved St Tropez Self Tan Mousse and a mitt for overnight tanning.)
(Shot in my bathroom at Hotel Le Meurice in Paris last week)
1) Cotton buds
3) Mini size Mitchum Advanced Control Anti-perspirant (You can buy mini Mitchums in Savers, and sometimes in Superdrug)
4) Olé Henriksen Nurture Me Soothing Crème Moisturiser (in Muji acrylic pot)
5) Nars Laguna Body Illuminator (in Boots plastic tub)
6) This Works’ Clean Skin 5 in 1 Water (in Muji polypropelene squeezy bottle)
7) Caudalie Pulpe Vitaminée
8) John Frieda Luxurious Volume Thickening Blow Dry Lotion (mini size from Superdrug)
9) Aromatherapy Associates De-Stress Mind Bath Oil (mini from travel set)
10) Mini Colgate toothpaste
11) Sewing kit
Not photographed above (because I just took my basic kit to Paris last week) but for longer trips I also add Caudalie Beauty Elixir spray for plane journeys and hot climates, and Nails Inc Express Nail Polish Remover, and mini nail varnishes, like this teeny one, also from Nails Inc. (It came in a Glossybox, but you can also buy them here.)
For shampoo and conditioner I’m a big fan of these sachets. I bought 40 – twenty of each, in the 99p Shop. Bargain of the year, I think. They are great because you don’t have to tote home empty – or half empty – bottles, leaving more space and weight for shopping.