Rummaging in the family archive

by Sasha Wilkins on May 2, 2013 · 13 comments

1960s style

This is  one of my favourite family photos, which I dug up a few weekends ago in my mother’s attic. It’s rare to find action shots in family albums: usually they are posed, with everyone staring fixedly at the camera lens, whether on the beach or in a studio.

The three people are my  godmother Rosalind (far left), my mother in the middle and my father. They’re on the way to a wedding, and I’m guessing it was about 1968? My mother will no doubt email to tell me I have it *completely* wrong.

There are so many things I love about this picture. The fact that my godmother is in exactly the kind of outfit I like to wear myself for smart occasions. That I still have the black patent handbag that my mother was given as a 21st birthday present and is carrying it here (I also found the heavy black rimmed glasses that my father sports when we moved a few years back). That my mother clearly loved false eyelashes and a heavy hand with the eyeliner as much as I do.

That both women are carrying gloves, even though they are wearing exceptionally short 1960s mini skirts (the one my mother is wearing was made from black crepe, and was in the dressing up box for years. I wore it a lot in my teens, but my mother was tiny, and I grew out of it in my early twenties). That very non-establishment flower my father is sporting in his buttonhole.

It’s a perfect captured moment of so many contradictions in a changing world.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Happimess May 2, 2013 at 07:52

A beautiful photo. Lovely to be able to glance into the past.

The Norwegian Girl May 2, 2013 at 08:59

I love how they dressed in the 60s!
I too, like to discover old photographs of my family… I once found an entire photo album of my Great aunt, when she was young in the 1920s and 30s, now that was a fun discovery.

LLG May 2, 2013 at 12:20

@The Norwegian Girl: It’s extraordinary isn’t it?, getting that time travel moment back into our relative’s lives? LLGxx

Sara May 2, 2013 at 09:01

I love seeing old photos of my parents. It reminds me that despite the fact that my mother’s age is stuck at 47 for me (she is much beyond that) she did have a life before that age.

And my parents were so achingly cool without realising it. My dad with his afro and giant bellhop jeans, my mother with her caftans and long straight hair.

Thanks for posting these LLG.

LLG May 2, 2013 at 12:22

@Sara: that’s *such* a good point: I guess in my heads my parents have also stuck around fifty, and I just don;t process that they are now knocking seventy…LLGxx

Richard Parker May 2, 2013 at 09:26

Classic clothing like this never goes out of fashion, neither does a great pair of legs! :-)

LLG May 2, 2013 at 12:21

@Richard Parker: This is very true! And my mother & godmother have AMAZING legs! LLGxx

Chloe May 2, 2013 at 13:20

Such a beautiful picture and even though they have short skirts on they still wear them so elegant and classy! We’ve definitely lost a lot of that these days – they dressed so much better back then! I look through my grandmother’s pictures and she had the same elegance. A time lost in history if only we could get people to dress more like that now!
Plus I’m envious of their legs! No fair haha

Romladolcevita May 2, 2013 at 14:10

Bellissime! Greetings from Italy!

Moi Contre La Vie May 2, 2013 at 14:15

Love this shot! The fashion is amazing, it really goes to show you that everything comes back! :)

Annabel - Love My Dress Wedding Blog May 2, 2013 at 17:46

Oh goodness, this is fabulous. I could stare and re-stare at images like this all day, wondering what was on their minds, what they were talking about, how they would have selected their wardrobe that day, how they would have gotten ready, the excitement of attending a wedding! I just love looking at photography containing fashions of bygone eras – and there is something so cool about the 60’s. I researched this era for a book I’ve just written and it was a fascinating time for those who enjoyed their fashion, reflective of the artistic and cultural revolution and political activism taking place.
Fabulous photograph.
Your Mum had great pins! ;-)
Annabel x

Angela May 3, 2013 at 21:39

Fantastic! I also love to look at pictures of my mum and dad in the sixties!

Vilte F. May 6, 2013 at 12:35

You have one good looking family :D