flower appreciation society

It’s been a week punctuated by beautiful flowers. These arrived at the LLG office attached to the invitation to the Toast store launch on Marylebone High Street next week, where I gather they will be filling the shop with blooms from The Flower Appreciation Society.

At the MiH AW13 press day at their enviable studios in Hammersmith, much loved florist Scarlet & Violet filled the showroom with Paper White Narcissi, Snowdrops, and delicate Hellebores. I couldn’t decide if I coveted the stretch suede skinny pants or the flowers more…

MIH JEANS

And this ravishing bunch, also from Scarlet & Violet, arrived in the office as a thank you from a London PR.

Scarlet & Violet flowers

When I wasn’t sniffing Spring flowers, I was doing quite a lot of eating. On Tuesday night I took lil’sis to the press preview night for Byron Burgers’ Lamb Burger (prescient on their part given the current meat origin crisis), at their new Store Street branch in Bloomsbury. It’s  been cleverly squeezed into a converted filling station. Can you tell?

byron hamburgers

She went lamb and chomped down with glee; I went Portobello mushroom. (Although I’ve eaten this many times at Byron on my own dime, I’m still not convinced by the combination of mushroom, grilled red pepper, and goats cheese. Too slippery, slide-y, slimey.)  On the other hand the historic (to use a Winner-ism) onion rings would be a satisfactory lunch in themselves.

byron hamburgers

On Wednesday, colour for the week was provided at The Conran Shop, where they have a new bespoke chair covering service – look at all these wonderful fabrics. There are many changes afoot at Conran, under Jasper Conran’s new creative leadership, and I challenge anyone to go downstairs and not want to buy, well, pretty much everything, from perfect cooking pans to pink suede rollerskates.

CONRAN SHOP

I spent Wednesday night at Balthazar with three girlfriends. (And wrote about it here.)

SASHA WILKINS BALTHAZAR LONDON

Over Thursday lunchtime Emily & I checked out the six shiny new floors at H&M’s re-launched Oxford Circus store. Goodness things have changed since the Hennes days of my youth. Not only is there free WiFi throughout, but these are some of the changing rooms:

H&M Oxford Circus

And props to the exuberant staff, who performed an impromptu Harlem Shake outside the store as the countdown to the public opening started:

H&M Oxford Circus

In the evening, I went to a dinner thrown by the brilliant digital story telling and ecomm agency Folk, at Quo Vadis in Soho, quite one of my favourite London restaurants.

Quo Vadis

I had squash, sage and goats curd on crisped polenta. It is utterly delicious, but I have now eaten it four times since December, so maybe it’s time to change the vegetarian option Mr Lee?

Quo Vadis

We still appear to be stuck in a Narnia-like eternal winter, although with less snow and more driving rain/hail/sleet. At least as the days grow longer, there are some glorious sunsets over Camden.

Camden sunset

Just imagining the fragrance from the Paper Whites. Bliss.

@Victoria Wildman: It was glorious! Wafting through the entire showroom space. LLGxx

sounds like a perfect week to me!

the flowers are so pretty and a restaurant in a revamped Petrol Station is AMAZING!

@ananyah: They’ve used the space really cleverly too. I have such a soft spot for American diner-style places, and this really works. LLGxx

What a gorgeous sign of the so far missing spring! Byron need to do mushroom and halloumi burgers, instead of the goat cheese.

@Catherine: YUM! I agree: Halloumi would work so much better from both a construction AND a texture point of view. LLGxx

I’ve yet to sample London’s Balthazar, this is something I must put right asap. You’ve had a great week & fab pics as always.
Helena xx

@Helena Halme: Thank you Helena. I’m really looking forward to a Balthazar breakfast, I have to say. LLGxx

‘We still appear to be stuck in a Narnia-like eternal winter, although with less snow and more driving rain/hail/sleet’. Ha, ha! I love your writing. So true though, sunlight & warmth are just a dim & distant memory…

@Beautiful Things: Thank you! And am so throughly fed up with being damp and cold LLGxx

The flowers are gorgeous.

The burgers actually sounds really good to me, sans goat cheese ’cause I cannot stand it, but I love mushrooms and peppers and add them to my burgers too sometimes! Damn, now I am hungry. I could do with a nice burger right about now!

The revamped H&M at Oxford Circus looks great! Can’t believe how different it looks from when I was last there! Definitely need to check it out next time I’m in London.

I am sooo very sick of winter. Isn’t it supposed to be spring in 4 days?

@Elisa: You see I don’t mind goats cheese, but it’s just so ubiquitous as a vegetarian option that my heart does rather sink when I see it on a menu. I like mushrooms & peppers together too, but it was all three together that felt wrong. LLGxx

Beautiful flowers and beautiful yummy looking food

Such gorgeous flowers! I love the photo of Camden at dusk. I was wondering if you’ve ever written a post about your favourite local haunts? I’m staying in Camden when I come to London for two months of research in May and your blog helped inspire this decision. I hope this week is just as filled with flowers and food!

@Maria: Hi Maria, almost every day I think I must get cracking on that Camden guide I’ve been planning! Thank you for the reminder. Hopefully I’ll have it underway b the time that you get here. LLGxx