LLG in London: Regent’s Park in the January Snow

by Sasha Wilkins on January 20, 2013 · 13 comments

Sasha Wilkins

That’s me this afternoon in Regent’s Park, muffled up against the cold. (For credits, see end of post.) Fortunately it’s not been at all windy, so there’s no biting chill in the air, just a general nippiness all round.

It was gently snowing, and there was a good three inches of snow on my roof when I woke up early this morning. I wasn’t much inclined to leave the house but by 1430hrs I had cabin fever. I pulled on many, many layers of warm stuff, and my non-slip Hunter snow boots, and trudged up to Regent’s Park, which is handily at the top of my road, a brisk five minutes away.

Regents park snow January 2013

I was utterly astonished that with such a winter wonderland open for play, minutes from central London, that hardly anyone had ventured in there. I knew from Twitter that nearby Primrose Hill & Hampstead Heath were packed with sledge-ers, but I don’t see the appeal of fighting for space with hundreds of people when the snow isn’t that deep. I’m much more of a snowball fight/build a snowman type of girl. Like these guys:

Regents park in the snow January London

Regents park in the snow January London

I walked around for a hour or so, luxuriating in the peace, and the total white out. It was still snowing, but the flakes weren’t thick, and I was toasty warm.

Regents park in the snow January London

Regents park in the snow January London

Regents park in the snow January London

I passed these crazy fools, who, minutes before, had been out on the playing field.

Regents park in the snow January London

Regents park in the snow January London

Regents park in the snow January London

Regents park in the snow January London

Regents park in the snow January London

Regents park in the snow January London

Hunter snow boots

At top: Here I’m luxuriating in my insulated Tommy Hilfiger x Blauer Millerain parka, a very welcome gift last September, which has really come into its own this winter, along with my grey wool Hunter scarf. Underneath I was wearing HeatTech layers: navy long sleeve T shirt, fleecy tights AND leggings over the top, with Hunter knitted shooting stockings and my Boden knitted tunic over all. And thank goodness for  my neoprene-lined Hunter Snow boots, with their grippy Vibram soles.  I neither went arse over tit nor got cold feet. I love working with Hunter. It is all win.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

mira January 20, 2013 at 19:46

That looks lovely. We’re stuck with minus double digits for the next two weeks. Minus 21! Aargh.

LLG January 21, 2013 at 08:47

@mira: oh goodness, that puts our snow and cold into perspective! LLGxx

Emma January 20, 2013 at 20:31

Such beautiful photos Sasha, London looks almost monochrome. I haven’t seen snow since I was a teenager and went to the Victorian snowfields for a skiing holiday. I can’t imagine having it outside my front door and all over the city like that. It’s 34C and sunny here today.

LLG January 21, 2013 at 08:49

@Emma: Thank you Emma. and wow 34C – I’m having a hard time imagining such a thing right now! LLGxx

amanda January 20, 2013 at 23:41

Those photos are amazing! The first couple of hours of snowfall in NYC and LON are always picture perfect.

amanda

LLG January 21, 2013 at 08:47

@amanda: Thank you – yes, it’s when the thaw happens it doesn’t look *quite* so pretty! LLGxx

V&R January 21, 2013 at 05:51

Yep, I concur that every hill in north London was crammed with little ones, ‘big kids’ :) and sledges! I bet Kenwood was mobbed. We opted for people watching, coffee and croissants at Planet Organic and then took Bear (our dog) for a walk in the snowy woods that border our house. He loves the snow.

x

LLG January 21, 2013 at 08:48

@V&R: I do wish my dog was in London: very envious LLGxx

Hannah Cagney & Lace January 21, 2013 at 05:58

Dreamy photos Sasha – there’s nothing more delightful then walking through a park of untouched snow. Those Hunter boots sound pretty awesome too!

Hannah http://www.cagneyandlace.com

LLG January 21, 2013 at 08:48

@Hannah Cagney & Lace: I have to say that not falling or slipping over ONCE has been exceptionally pleasing! LLGxx

james January 21, 2013 at 08:05

Wow! For the second straight winter London is getting more snow than here in New York! I have not dusted off my boots yet.

Josh January 21, 2013 at 11:20

Snow is fun in small doses but it gets old after a while. I’m Canadian and -31 degree weather is less than fun. I can’t even wear my Hunter wellies because it’s so cold that they would crack! London does look beautiful with snow! I really enjoyed this post.

Max January 30, 2013 at 07:42

Wow! Amazing page with very pleasant description of the beautiful snow memories :) x