LLG Fashion: Staying Warm with Uniqlo HEATTECH

by Sasha Wilkins on January 12, 2013 · 16 comments

Uniqlo Heat Tech HeatTech

Finally we are getting our winter cold snap here in the South East – there’s snow already in some part of the United Kingdom, and it’s predicted across most of the country from tomorrow (Sunday.) The temperature at the moment (hovering around 0C or 32F) won’t impress anyone from say Minneapolis, Minsk or Montreal, but we just don’t cope enormously well with being chilly in London, as there aren’t that many days in the year when one has to worry about thick coats, bobble hats or thermal knickers.

And although it’s miserable being cold, and a huge worry when it comes to heating bills for our generally badly insulated houses, being colder than normal allows us British people the chance to indulge in two of our favourite past times: talking about the weather, and moaning.

I do however have a solution to being cold and sky rocketing heating bills: it’s not exactly new and most of you will already know it, but for those of you yet to discover Uniqlo HEATTECH and down layering jackets all I can say is BUY SOME NOW.

(My full edit is over on LLG Recommends: Fashion, including pieces from the limited edition Orla Kiely HEATTECH collection of long sleeve Ts)

It works by converting moisture evaporating from the body into heat which is then trapped in invisible air pockets in the fibres, to ensure heat is kept on the skin without the need for cumbersome layers.  So not only does it keep you toasty warm, it means you don’t look like a Michelin man or woman. It is also anti-microbacterial, so no sweaty whiffs, anti-static, soft to the touch, and stretchy so it fits well.

It’s pretty much all in the sale right now, so I advise buying tout suite. I was horrified last year when I went in mid-Jan to stock up before I visited Montreal, and they were already promoting the spring/summer ranges, with all the HEATTECH  in the sale – meaning it was squished into corner upstairs with a lot of sizes unavailable.

Still, I say this smug in the knowledge that I still managed to drop £250 in the sale buying Uniqlo down jackets and HEATTECH in every single permutation possible, both for Montreal and to ensure I was covered for this season too.

I now possess a huge lightweight down puffer coat, a matching thin Ultra Light Down layer jacket which squishes down to a small ball (which is also excellent, I discovered last weekend, for running), and HEATTECH jeans, socks, tights, leggings, vests, knickers, camisoles, long sleeved Ts, short sleeved Ts…

Screen shot 2013-01-13 at 01.07.04

Premium Down Ultra Light Jacket £59.90 (Comes in lots more colours)

(Do not be misled by the sometimes alarming single colours on display on the section pages for each style: if you click through they will give all the colour options available for each style.)

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Andy N. January 12, 2013 at 20:30

“….talking about the weather, and moaning.” Hahaha… I had to laugh when I read this part LLG…

LLG January 13, 2013 at 09:35

@Andy N.: You know it: our classic British traits! LLGxx

Madison January 12, 2013 at 21:31

I totally agree with you that Heattech is awesome! I wear the long sleeved tops all the time. I got one of the down jackets last year and LOVED it until every time I wore it I would start wheezing – turns out I was allergic to the down so had to take it back – made me so sad!

LLG January 13, 2013 at 09:35

@Madison: oh HOW annoying is that?! I love my two jackets, and would never be without them…And as for the long sleeved tops: i have them in all colours of the rainbow! LLGxx

Vivian Morelli January 13, 2013 at 02:57

Great post!! I love Uniqlo Heat Tech. I’m from Montreal but now live in Tokyo, and I swear by Uniqlo for winter. Even though winters are pretty mild here compared to my hometown, there’s a lack of insulation so I’m always layering heat teach undershirts and tights- they really do make a difference. Stay warm!! xo from Japan

LLG January 13, 2013 at 09:40

@Vivian Morelli: It’s amazing that pieces as lightweight as the camisoles and T shirts could make a difference, isn’t it? And thank you! LLGxx

Ema Hixton January 13, 2013 at 05:23

Looking both stylish and warm! I like the hood of the jacket as it gives a cool look and keep me away from the cold weather. Thanks for few more choices of the winter outfits to be beautiful besides carrying a stylish outlook.

LLG January 13, 2013 at 09:40

@Ema Hixton: Thank you! Yes VERY warm! LLGxx

Blonde January 13, 2013 at 06:15

That stuff is magic. I put some on to ride in the other day, and had to take it off by the time I got to the stables. SO WARM.

LLG January 13, 2013 at 09:38

@Blonde: Yes, I did go somewhat overboard in Montreal, and had the same issue. RED face! Better than freezing tho.LLGxx

Katy January 13, 2013 at 06:47

I’ve been looking everywhere for the perfect down jacket & this looks like the one! All the one’s I have tried so far have been too chunky :)

LLG January 13, 2013 at 09:39

@Katy: These are great, as they are so lightweight. Highly recommend. LLGxx

Se1Girl January 13, 2013 at 14:24

LLG I am experiencing my first my first New York winter and NEED these!
c x

Lolly January 15, 2013 at 13:05

Just placed an order. Beyond stocked that Uniqlo is FINALLY offering online shopping in the US. And you’re right: all of the Heattech stuff is on sale and a lot of it is sold out, but I still managed to snag some Ts and other warm-makers. I am seriously considering a puffer as well…