Afternoon Tea chez LLG with Wedgwood & Red Magazine

by Sasha Wilkins on December 20, 2012 · 11 comments

English Afternoon Tea Wedgwood

Back in September, I, in association with Wedgwood and Red magazine hosted an afternoon tea & book club for five girlfriends at my London apartment. Red sent along a photographer & a cameraman (watch the video here), and I then wrote about baking, friends, books and throwing a great afternoon tea to accompany the photographs in the current (January) issue of Red.  I mentioned it on the blog before, but wanted to wait until the piece was out to run all the rest of the photographs that I took.

(There’s a also a competition to attend the next literary tea & win your own tea service. See the bottom of this post for more details.)

The guests were: Sarah Curran, founder of My Wardrobe.com, Jenny Lewis portrait photographer,  Maggie Alderson, London-born Australian author, magazine editor and fashion journalist, Philippa Wright, Marketing director at wine merchants Goedhuis & Co., and Tara Spring, Celebrity Producer for network televisio

English Afternoon Tea Wedgwood

We were lucky enough to have a wonderful sunny afternoon, with perfect light in my conservatory dining room.

English Afternoon Tea Wedgwood

Diptyque sent over candles to scent the apartment, Menthe & Tilleul to burn together, and for the going home bags.

English Afternoon Tea Wedgwood

The books that we talked about are in a list here on LLG.

English Afternoon Tea Wedgwood

Of course all the china was Wedgwood and the glass Waterford Crystal. I baked everything myself. There was a triple layered lemon cake with homemade blackberry jam and blackberry Swiss meringue icing, of which I am inordinately proud, as I winged it all without a recipe.

English Afternoon Tea Wedgwood

Although I’d be lying if I said I made these pastry shells: they are M&S, which I filled with Jersey cream, and hue plump Scottish raspberries.

English Afternoon Tea Wedgwood

The tablecloth is actually a very fine embroidered sheet my mother gave me at Christmas one year. The roses are from Wild at Heart at Liberty: handily I’d been sent them that week by a client.

English Afternoon Tea Wedgwood

I made ginger and nut cookies, and smoked salmon, and cucumber sandwiches.

English Afternoon Tea Wedgwood

There were also my special extra fudgy brownies and, of course homemade scones, to eat with Cornish clotted cream and jam. (Two types: strawberry and raspberry.)

English Afternoon Tea Wedgwood

And there were lovely presents for everyone, the latest Red mag, a pair of Diptyque candles, and Wedgwood cameo necklaces, as well as boxes of left over cake, and a copy each of one of Maggie Alderson’s EXCELLENT novels.

English Afternoon Tea Wedgwood

If you would like to attend the next Books That Built Me afternoon tea on 10 January, then Red are running a competition online at the moment. (It closes TOMORROW  – that is 11:59pm Friday 21 Dec 2012.)

As well as attending tea, there are some fabulous prizes on offer for the winner too: a selection of my favourite books and your very own Wedgwood Tea Service, such as the Wedgwood Deco Bloom and Wedgwood Scallop Daisy – elegant reissues from the Art Deco era of Nancy Mitford – the Wedgwood Cuckoo, the Butterfly Bloom, or the Wedgwood White.

For your chance to win, head to the Red magazine online entry form here.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Faux Fuchsia December 20, 2012 at 21:29

Dear LLG

I luff the look of your tea party and I luff Maggie. I’ve been lucky enough to meet her twice, once recently. She seems like a Good Egg and someone I’d enjoy having a drink with.

Happy Christmas to you x

simone December 21, 2012 at 06:36

Hello!
I loved reading this, I am a book lover & I absolutely understand that thing of bonding over books….it’s a lovely thing to simply sit and talk about books that have been really special to you.
I really liked watching your video on the Red website :)
Merry Christmas!
Simone

DebbieA December 21, 2012 at 09:40

Dear LLG…What a lovely idea…Can’t enter though because I live abroad. I so enjoyed reading “The Little White Horse” when I was a little girl. My sons bought me a copy for my 40 something birthday. I now realize I wasn’t the only one to love this book…J K Rowling and Philippa who came to your afternoon tea, to name but two.

PS The architect who founded the company I worked for in my early 20s, in Paris, designed the chairs in your conservatory!

LLG December 21, 2012 at 11:53

@DebbieA: @DebbieA: Yes! The Marcel Breuer chairs: they, along with the glass and chrome dining table, belonged to my parents. They bough the set from Heal’s in 1968 when they got married, and when the family home was sold in the summer of 2011, I inherited them. I have two carvers as well, which are in storage. LLGxx

DebbieA December 21, 2012 at 14:38

@LLG: Did you know it was called the “Cesca” chair after his daughter Francesca and actually designed in the 1920s!

annie December 21, 2012 at 09:59

Sasha you have such lovely collaborations, well done, a great video too. I love Wedgwood and I love tea and I love cake and I love LLG so needless to say I’ve entered. And I could roll myself home after that.

I hope you have a really lovely Christmas and hopefully see you soon!

Annie xx

Elisse December 26, 2012 at 00:04

Ah, this is so perfect. So British with the little sandwiches and dainty teapots and everything, I love it.

Fashion Follows Her December 26, 2012 at 19:17

How fabulous! I love afternoon tea- in fact my favourite meal of the day, especially when there’s champagne involved too! Like you I’m lucky to have inherited beautiful china tea sets and a full silver tea service which belonged to my grandparents given to them to commemorate their silver wedding anniversary (nan was good enough to let me play with it as a little girl so it already has lots of lovely memories attached). Looks like you all had a wonderful time- good on you! x

Hockeyfrilla January 10, 2013 at 06:47

“There was a triple layered lemon cake with homemade blackberry jam and blackberry Swiss meringue icing, of which I am inordinately proud, as I winged it all without a recipe”
That, is some rather impressive winging it.