LLG Fashion: Pouches

by Sasha Wilkins on October 1, 2012 · 15 comments

Pouches AW12

I’ve been all but given up on handbags since New Year, when I bought that orange bag (6, above) in Marrakech. As I browsed through the excellent pieces in Place Vendome, Gueliz’s most famous leather goods store, I was really taken with the idea of downsizing all the junk which I carry around on a daily basis, and using pouches instead.

Two came home with me and I have used them pretty much consistently, to the point where the orange one is looking knackered now – although it survived long enough for me to carry it in this shoot for Easy Living.

I like too how you can also just slip them into a bigger bag if necessary, which tends to stop me leaving my purse and credit cards behind when I swap bags. Also: colour & pattern is a big draw. I’m a bit fed up with being an all-black clad person.

It’s funny how you can just pick up on a trend without thinking about it at all, months before it hits critical mass: at London Fashion Week last month, everyone seemed to be carrying downsized clutches and pouches. I realised I had amassed quite a collection, so here are my current favourites. (I’m afraid three of the above I bought abroad, which isn’t too helpful.)

My absolute favourite now that I’ve battered the orange one, is the faux reptile one I bought in Rio in July. As with the two Place Vendome ones, I suspect it’s really a washbag, as it has a waterproof lining, but that’s all to the good, given my propensity for not putting the caps back on fountain pens properly, or losing lipstick caps.

The Baukjen pouch from this season is also a multi-tasker: it’s gently padded so you can slip a tablet in there too. Clever.

1) Clare Vivier Cobalt Blue Clutch from Shopbop (Press day gift from a few seasons back. Blue sold out)
2) Russell & Bromley scarlet Palermo zipped purse (Press day gift)
3) Lenny Niemeyer textured faux reptile pouch (bought in Rio for approx £30 in the July sale)
4) Baukjen AW12 Stingray clutch £109
5) Stine Riis for H&M Grey Wool Pouch (gift)
6) Orange leather zipped bag from Place Vendome, Marrakech for approx. £25
7) Purple leather zipped bag from Place Vendome, Marrakech for approx. £25

*winner of the H&M Design Award 2012

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Linda Tsai October 2, 2012 at 04:42

6 is my favourite! What a lovely orange colour it is for a feminine piece and is perfect for this reason!

Thanks x

LLG October 2, 2012 at 13:36

@Linda Tsai: I have used, and used it: I find that the orange really does go with pretty much everything. LLGxx

Catherine October 2, 2012 at 04:47

Very useful; loved the look of all the Clare Vivier ones on the link you provided. I have kept all the zip bags I have got over the years with my free gifts from companies like Clarins who used to do rubberized ones.

LLG October 2, 2012 at 13:41

@Catherine: Me too! Super useful for travelling too. LLGxx

Victoria Wildman October 2, 2012 at 05:03

A couple of years ago on impulse I bought a Miu Miu pouch with a wrist strap and have used little else since. Liberating for me and my back (if you’d seen the size of the bag I was carrying previously).

LLG October 2, 2012 at 13:41

@Victoria Wildman: I think that once you realise how little you can survie with it’s a real lightbulb moment! LLGxx

An Maliq October 2, 2012 at 05:36

Wonderful colection! I’m a biggest fan of pouches

annemarie October 2, 2012 at 08:26

I just wish they made ‘em with detachable wrist straps. They’re be awesome for going to shows and dancing. I feel somehow very vulnerable with a drink in one hand and my clutch in the other and no hands free. And I do not refuse to tuck it between my upper arm and ribcage– laaaame! Even though I’m 35, I have a horror of doing things that make me look like I’m pretending to be a grown-up– that is one of those things. Thick, but true.

annemarie October 2, 2012 at 13:31

@annemarie: my comment makes no sense because of the typos. oops

LLG October 2, 2012 at 13:38

@annemarie: ha! I edited it on the hoof, so didn’t actually notice. I reckon everyone will get your gist tho…And I agree, big fan of the handy wrist strap, as am such a fuckwit, I lose everything eventually. LLGxx

EnBrogue October 2, 2012 at 09:04

I have number 4! I loved using it at LFW because as you say, you HAVE to edit out all your usual handbag junk.

LLG October 2, 2012 at 13:40

@EnBrogue: It’s edging out the Rio bag for my no 1 at the mo. I do like how Baukjen thought to pad it so my tablet can go in there. But it’s just basically really chic… and god it was liberating at LFW just having the bare essentials. And I survived! (Made me realise that it’s pointless lugging around an entire LFW survival kit. all you really need is a snack, a lipstick & hairbrush, a credit card & a phone…I even managed to squeeze in a pair of those folding ballet shoes one day too )LLGxx

picolin October 2, 2012 at 15:19

I’ve been a tote bag girl for a loooong time, but recently I began to use tiny bag with enough room for my daily carriage, I found the charm of tiny bags/clutch.
My eyes are caught by No.4 by Baukjen, very chic. Also sound so nice to hear it will be gorgeous tablet case…

Catherine October 18, 2012 at 03:19

While searching the web yesterday, I noticed that American Apparel do three sizes of pouches; prices start at £24. Lots of pretty colours, and they have smaller make-up bags too.

Catherine November 8, 2012 at 02:00

I discovered a really nice selection of pouches and make up bags at Gap in Oxford Street, London yesterday.

There are different sizes with a really good colour range, inc. turquoise, orange and purple.