LLG London: Chanel Beauty Covent Garden popup shop

by Sasha Wilkins on July 23, 2012 · 16 comments

Chanel Covent Garden popup shop

If a Londoner thinks of a shopping destination, I think it is fair to say that over the past few years, Covent Garden Market & its surrounding streets have not been a first choice. Too many High Street chain stores and chintzy boutiques selling tat in the Market. Covent Garden was most definitely for the tourists and out-of-towners.

Then something happened, and we started to sit up, like meerkats, sniffing the retail air. Yes, Covent Garden has undergone somewhat of a renaissance. It’s not just that there’s the UK’s largest Apple store anchoring one corner of the Piazza, and a Laduree tea room for macaron snarfling opposite, or that New York’s Balthazar is about to open,  or that Opening Ceremony are popping up, or that the glamorous Delauney has brought back foot traffic to a dismal corner of the Aldwych, or that there’s the Wahaca flagship,  or that one of Russell Norman’s Polpo restaurants is on Maiden Lane, or that there’s a pop up Melissa shoe store this summer, or that the new ME hotel is nearing completion, it’s that there is a feeling that Covent Garden is relevant again, with a wide span of interesting shops and an understanding that you could easily accomplish all your shopping & eating requirements in this one area.

And there’s nothing like a Chanel popup beauty store to make that feeling into hard reality. Opening tomorrow (Tuesday),  after a very successful opening party this evening,where we got to check it out properly, it will stock all of Chanel’s delicious signature scents, highly effective skincare and brilliant colour cosmetics – including all the limited edition and cult products for which Chanel is known.

Chanel Covent Garden popup shop Chanel Beauty Covent Garden popup shop

Chanel Covent Garden popup shop Chanel Covent Garden popup shop

Downstairs is the first ever UK Chanel nail bar, where for £20 redeemable against purchase, anyone can have a shape and polish. Upstairs there will be makeover stations from expert Chanel artists and, if you need an instant fix of mascara or eyeshadow, there will be make-up vending machines arriving in-store in the autumn.

Chanel Covent Garden popup shop

The Chanel Beauty Covent Garden popup shop will be open for the next six months.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Michelle Lee July 23, 2012 at 23:31

love Chanel makeup :)

LLG July 26, 2012 at 05:57

@Michelle Lee: Ha! Me too! LLGxx

sadie July 24, 2012 at 02:31

I’ve always loved Covent Garden, so full of life and exciting.
Think it’s a genius idea for Chanel to open their pop up there. And oh, how I wish I could go. But I know I won’t get to it. Never mind.At least I get to read about it on your blog.

x

LLG July 26, 2012 at 05:58

@sadie: Honestly Sadie, I thought it was great – I loved the redeemable against purchase nail bar idea. And all these great shops have made me fall back in love with Covent Garden again, after rather avoiding it for some years. LLGxx

TheOnlineStylist July 24, 2012 at 03:51

I really need to visit this heavenly place – it’s definitely going on my to do list next time I’m up! x

LLG July 26, 2012 at 05:59

@TheOnlineStylist: I’m def going back to do some shopping for sure! LLGxx

Kate July 25, 2012 at 11:20

I visited yesterday, and I have to say that it was a huge disappointment. 5 perfume bottles, a few nail polish displays and one small make up display. The staff (of which there were many) ignored my sister and I the entire time we were in there, which put my sister off buying the lipstick, nail polish, blusher and eyeshadow quartet she’d been planning on buying. They’d run out of current seasonal colours and the downstairs area was roped off.

All in all I came away thinking a lot less of the brand than I had in the past.

LLG July 26, 2012 at 06:01

@Kate: Hey Kate, what a disappointment. Maybe they were a bit overwhelmed after the launch excitement on Monday/Tuesday? Anyway, I have passed on your comment to the Chanel Beauty press office here in London, and they came straight back to tell me they are going to talk to customer services to ensure things like this don’t happen again. LLGxx

Sham August 10, 2012 at 10:27

I visited yesterday also. I was excited to see it and thought there would be limited collections. Anyway i had a better service at Selfridges. Downstairs was roped off also

Amy Johnson July 27, 2012 at 02:39

Heard this was opening and am going to have a look today but can’t find the address anywhere! Which street in CG is it on? Thanks x

Emma August 5, 2012 at 12:51
Liv August 15, 2012 at 06:01

Does anybody have the telephone number for the chanel pop-up nail bar?

Aby August 15, 2012 at 12:53

Ah me and my friend visited last week after work at 6pm and we were so excited! The pop up store is indeed gorgeous in true Chanel Style! However when we asked about manicures we were told that we had to book (which I can understand) so we continued to try and book at which point we were told they only did afternoons?! Surely lots of people want to go after work! The downstairs was also roped off.