I am trying very hard not to think about the fact that I have just lost the most expensive thing I own (in aggregate). More than my car (hmm not that difficult), more than any item of clothing, more than my laptop.

My longed for (over the entire life of the blog & only bought last November) & much loved, never-let-me-down, always-taking- excellent-photos Canon EOS Rebel SLR body along with three lenses, daylight filters, memory card, one half of my remote control, the camera case pictured above and all the images I took on my last day in San Francisco: Golden Gate Park, the Japanese Tea Garden, Out the Door restaurant, the stores on Filmore Street, the Clift Hotel….

I was cross-eyed with jetlag and fatigue after the flight from San Francisco but I do remember very, very clearly looping it on the back of my luggage trolley at Heathrow Terminal One as I arrived in the baggage reclaim. My memories stop there, although I am guessing it was still on the trolley when I arrived at the Heathrow Express platform entrance where you can’t take carts, and unloaded my cases to get on to the platform. So it either got left on the trolley, (unlikely), on the platform bench when I got up to get on to the train  (likely), on the train (very likely), or in the black cab – (pretty sure not.)

I am DESPERATE to get it back – although I realise that it is now unlikely, as my name wasn’t anywhere in the case (lesson firmly learnt), and it is has not yet been listed on the LHR or black cab lost property records.

I am offering a REWARD for its return, but don’t hold out much hope of this message going very far towards the person who may have picked it up. It’s frustrating as second-hand cameras and lenses (especially ones with no provenance) don’t have anything near the value of new ones so essentially it is worth far, far more to me than the person who may have picked it up.

Whilst I was bemoaning the loss (& publicising the reward) on Facebook, a reader recommended this site www.ifoundyourcamera.net from the founders of Post Secret, where lovely civic-minded people post images from memory cards they have found lost or discarded, in the hope that the owners will claim them. (I live in hope. Even the SD card’s return alone would be good, as it represents a whole day’s photography.)

And PassportDelicious.com commented:

“A Virgin flight attendant had the jump seat across from me on London to Tokyo a while back had a good tip about not losing devices while traveling: brightly colored cases. So now my iPhone is in bright green, my Blackberry in purple, my iPad in bright pink, and my DSLR in bright blue. That was 5 years ago and I haven’t lost anything since! And I used to lose A LOT of stuff.”

I think this is a BRILLIANT idea – especially given just how many tech devices (but not mine), are currently sitting in Heathrow Lost Property looking for a home. So I had a quick squint at Amazon, and here are some that could be options for when I save up for a new SLR camera, maybe next year. *weeps*.

Lowepro Nova 140 AW All Weather Shoulder Bag for Digital SLR – Bordeaux Red £35.55
Screen shot 2012-04-28 at 20.41.30

Lowepro Toploader Zoom 45AW – Blue £24.83 (also comes in red).
Screen shot 2012-04-28 at 20.43.51

Oliepops Hot Pink Camcorder/SLR Camera Case £23.99 (Okay it is kinda pink – but you are NEVER going to forgot your camera in this case)
Screen shot 2012-04-28 at 20.46.29

Crumpler Jimmy Bo 700 Hybrid Photo Bag – Red/White £15.95
Screen shot 2012-04-28 at 20.44.59

I also like these little cases for compact digital cameras. Acme Made Sleek Case Camera Case – Yellow£12.64

Screen shot 2012-04-28 at 20.52.34

At top:Lowepro Rezo 160 Black Shoulder Bag £28.54

I was sorry to hear you lost your camera, having lost a Cannon DSLR last year I know that horrible sinking feeling well. I don’t know if this site is any good or of any use http://www.stolencamerafinder.com (sorry I am tech challenged and don’t know how to add a link in a comment). Any hope of claiming on an insurance policy? I have everything that I take from home regularly (such as my macbook, camera etc) listed separately, for all risks, on my home contents insurance policy. This meant I was able to claim for my camera even though it was my own fault that I lost it – I left it on a bus!

@Just Add Attitude: I do have both travel & home contents so on Monday that will be my first port of call. (I pay a LOT for my home insurance, so fingers crossed. I’m 99% sure I won’t get the full value, but hopefully at least part of it.) LLGxx

Another vote for home insurance!! I lost the exact same camera a couple of years ago (rather, it was swiped) and my content insurance coughed up no questions asked – and pleasingly, with no increase to my premium. It was on its own with the kit lens and was a great surprise to get a new one within a fortnight! They sent me a replacement camera rather than offering me the cash value. Fingers crossed your story has a similar happy ending xx

I hope there will be a happy ending to this story. Also, I wouldn’t mind at all contributing $5 to a Save for Camera fund. If you feel bad about accepting money, maybe you could make it an old-fashioned raffle?

Ooh, I’d go for the pink case just because I love the colour.

Am really sorry you’ve lost your camera. I am hoping, hoping that a little miracle will happen and you’ll get it back. You never know. These things do a happen (over the past couple of years my mum has handed in a wad of cash & a full purse that she found. Both were reclaimed).

Good luck. x

I don’t suppose you kept a list of serial numbers? If so there are a few sites that you can register your gear with (such as http://www.immobilise.com/ ), also ringing local second hand camera traders and giving them the serial numbers in case they get sold the gear. A couple of handy links from fellow flickr users includes http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/ and http://gizmodo.com/5833987/how-this-pro-photographer-recovered-9k-worth-of-stolen-gear if the person who now has your camera gear uploads photos to the web, you may be able to track them down. Hope you get your stuff back soon xx
I find losing the images way more traumatic that the lost gear (as some things just can’t be replaced), and back to a portable HD to go in my case and online before I travel back, just in case. Also I wouldn’t rule out a reputable camera shop such as London Camera Exchange for second hand gear, they usually come with 6months to a years warranty on 2nd hand stuff, can save a fortune especially on lenses

Sorry to hear about the lost camera; you take such lovely pictures!

I second the recommendation about an insurance claim. I know many policies will cover losses like this which is good because I have a habit of leaving my belongings scattered all over the place!

Oh I am so sorry this has happened to you! It must be so stressful, I dearly hope it gets returned.

I am constantly nearly leaving things behind or actually doing so because of a migraine tablet which gave me short term memory loss, and have tried to adopt the brightly coloured approach as best I can. My camera case is a dull black though so I love this useful collection!

Florrie x

Very sorry for your loss – I too lost an expensive macro lens and the idea of using a bright coloured case is a great idea and one I shall now use!.. I did have it all insured as all of it is small and vulnerable to loss and damage. Hope it finds its way back to you

Pink is the way to go – not only will you spot it so will everybody else and they will point out that you have left it lying when you get up from the aircraft/train/tube seat. Its also useful from the point of view of theft – no mugger wants to be seen dead running away with a very girly noticeable case – good for the luggage carousel too – you will spot your bag in a moment unlike all the owners of tasteful black and navy cases.

good luck for getting your camera back.

x a

Oh, this made me feel slightly sick! You poor thing – sincerely hope some kind person hands this in and it finds its way home again. xx