The last few days in Cornwall have zoomed by on wings. We’ve pretty much stuck to our original plan, which I bashed out with the PR for Visit Cornwall: starting out at The Scarlet Hotel for one night, moving onto The Village at Watergate Bay,  to stay in a self-catering house managed by Beach Retreats on Friday & Saturday, and then to the tiny fishing harbour of Portloe on the south coast to stay at The Lugger for two nights.

I’ve never seen Cornwall in the sunshine before, and I think it’s fair to say that this trip has been summed up by three things: staggering views, the joy of having the dog with us, and glorious, glorious Cornish produce transformed into delicious Cornish meals.

Around every corner there is another gobsmacking vista. Today I stopped the car on the way back form the Eden Project to take this photo as we headed towards Portloe

At top is the view of Watergate Bay from our balcony in the heat haze around lunchtime on Sunday, and below is the view from The Scarlet at lunchtime on Friday over Mawgan Porth Beach.

And this was the view this morning from my bedroom at The Lugger Hotel.

26 Mar 2012 17:33

Whilst there has been a lot of extraordinary food, this wass the most epic cake I have seen in months, a Victoria Sponge at the Eden Project Bakery at lunchtime today:

Screen shot 2012-03-27 at 00.52.14

P Bad has coped pretty well with the travelling. Here she is at The Scarlet, waiting to move to our next destination.

And here she is with me in Portloe Harbour this afternoon – I had to carry her, as she still keeps trying to head off into the waves.

(I’m wearing a Whistles parka, Zara polkadot chiffon blouse, and a cashmere scarf from Fenwick.)

Gosh that view from the lugger hotel is stunning!

Lovely looking cake and what a profit margin! Fourteen slices @ £2.80 each -that’s nearly forty big ones, them Cornish ain’t ‘alf canny!

Gosh, I envy you. I spent three wonderful days at the Scarlet about 18 months ago when I was recovering from an apendectomy. Normally I can’t get away because I look after my husband who is an invalid and can’t be left, but on this occasion he had gone to respite care. The weather wasn’t as beautiful as you have enjoyed but I had a great time and didn’t feel out of place being on my own, the staff made me so welcome. A big thank you because I learned about the hotel from your blog.

Oooh! You look stunning (as does Posetta of course)….where are those sunglasses from?

I always like hearing of your travels!

-Pri

Weeps “I wanna go!”
Jx

P dog needs a little life jacket!

Simply love Cornwall – we have a holiday booked in June! I spent a day down there working a few yrs ago and mentioned to a local that I loved it but didn’t think I could deal with the busy roads in summer months. He said he couldnt either so instead travels by boat…he just zips along the shoreline to the nearest coastal town when he needs supplies etc. Can you imagine anything more idyllic?