LLG Shops: Bicester Village & New Sergio Rossi Shoes

by Sasha Wilkins on March 21, 2012 · 20 comments

Sergio Rossi shoes

I think it would be fair to say that my wardrobe is not lacking in the shoe department. It’s not lacking to the point where I have no choice but to pack away out of season pairs in an inaccessible cupboard, as otherwise my flat would resemble a shoe warehouse. As it is, I have resorted to lines of shoes along every empty wall in my flat. (I stashed them all into giant canvas bags in my car boot during the dinner I hosted last week.)

But when you can’t buy the clothes you really want because women with huge chests and long skinny legs cannot wear anything remotely interesting or directional, (it looks insanely stupid), the allure of a new pair of shoes cannot be underestimated. I may be wearing the most boring sack like dress in existence because it’s the only thing I could find that I could shovel my boobs into without the side seams splitting under the strain, or flashing my cleavage like a neon sign, but I can sport the most fabulous shoes.

So, whilst I had a lovely time today building a blissful imaginary wardrobe at the launch of the excellent British Designer’s Collective at Bicester Village (the UK’s third most popular tourist attraction and my favourite-est designer outlet centre), stroking Jonathan Saunders’ delicious cardigans, Emma Cook’s silk dresses and Osman’s structured tops, as per I ended up buying shoes.

(I almost bought another pair of Nicholas Kirkwoods – as Navaz Tweeted, the wall of his shoes at the Collective really did have my name ALL over it, but I think we can all agree that I have quite enough pairs of his shoes with which to be going on. For another month or so anyway.)

After the protracted lustful stroking of the Saunders merch, we hot-footed it to Celine round the corner – where we discovered every other fashion editor from the launch gently drooling. I nearly succumbed to the siren song of a green pair of sandals, and watched Kiki lose her heart to some pale yellow suede wedges, but I ended up dropping my cash in Sergio Rossi buying the above pair, which have summer wedding, Ascot and, f*ck it, pretty much every day this summer, written all over them. And, with various markdowns, vouchers, discounts and the rest I scored them for a quarter of their retail price.

The British Designers Collective runs from 22 March to 9 May 2012.

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

kyzmet March 21, 2012 at 21:23

I love reading the tales of woe re: being large chested and skinny legged on your blog Sasha..as someone with the same clothes issues (albeit on much tighter budget) I love the honesty! That is why I can never understand the whole big fake boobs phenomenon…do women not understand big boobs do not generally look elegant or sleek in clothes??..in fact its a daily fight against ‘mumsy’ around here. Your commitment to shoes is a clever one, looking down at my feet I am feeling the guilt about my Blundstones..so not elegant but too muddy in country Australia for heels at the mo.

Alex March 22, 2012 at 02:55

Only in the anomalous world of fashion could a huge chest and long skinny legs be regarded as suboptimal. :) #bonkers

Notting Hill Girl March 22, 2012 at 04:01

I really wish you didn’t post this! I’ve been trying to resist heading to Bicester Village and now I must go ;) You are right, they are the perfect summer shoe. Great find! NHG x

Fatima Malagueira March 22, 2012 at 04:26

Love love love them! As a fellow large chested but not so skinny legged lady, shoes and accessories are also my best friends. Have a great time in Cornwall and I look forward to hearing your tales. Am heading to the M40 as we speak…:-)

Tor March 22, 2012 at 05:31

Oh wow they are beautiful shoes. Great purchase!

Victoria Fisher March 22, 2012 at 06:25

What beauties, am off to Bicester on Tuesday, god I hope there’s something left!

LLG March 22, 2012 at 13:41

@Victoria Fisher: @Victoria Fisher: Well, I only bought one pair! There was lots of good stuff; I wish I could have stayed longer, but I had to get back to London for afternoon meetings. Although I guess my bank account is thanking me right now! LLGxx

Sam Lennie (Interiorsam) March 22, 2012 at 08:27

Love your new shoes, the heels are a sensible yet still sexy height. We all have body issues, although I don’t share your dilemma, I’m in the log shaped camp, no waist and no decent bust to boast about. Thanks for sharing x

Melissa March 22, 2012 at 08:42

Ooh gorgeous shoes! I’ve got to say there is something really amazing about Sergio Rossi shoes, he just seems to know how to make a shoe that makes your legs look great. It takes me back to Italy in 2001 and while shopping in Milan i fell in love with a pair of Sergio Rossi shoes which were a kind of purple/red patent, i bought them for my wedding shoes … at this stage i had no dress and made sure that my dress had to work with the shoes not the other way round! On the day itself i was the only one still dancing in my shoes 12 hours later … so comfortable!
A trip to Bicester must be on the cards now!

LLG March 22, 2012 at 13:34

@Melissa: I have to say that these are enormously comfortable: there’s a slightly padded sole, and the heel height is perfect for running around. Higher may be a touch sexier, but it’s also a damn sight more uncomfortable! Your wedding shoes sound wonderful! LLGxx

Suzanna March 22, 2012 at 09:26

You make me wish I still wore heels!

annemarie March 22, 2012 at 10:26

I love this style of shoe– an exposed foot is very sexy, I think.

It’s bonkers and a little sad that a fashion outlet is the third biggest tourist attraction in a country that has so much cool stuff to see. That people would choose a shopping mall over, say, Tate Modern. It brings to mind the hedonistic pillaging of label-hungry teenagers during the London riots. I read this article at the time and thought it was very good:

Perhaps this is a bit dramatic though. Many people visit NYC exclusively for shopping, and others for the cultural stuff, and some for a bit of both.

LLG March 22, 2012 at 13:32

@annemarie: It’s partly due to the influx of Chinese consumers, who visit the UK specifically to shop and Bicester is the most upmarket outlet in the UK (Gucci, YSL, above-mentioned Celine etc).

And partly, I think, because Bicester is often packaged into itineraries along with cultural stops. (Museum: tick. Gallery: tick. Shop: tick.) Plus, it’s only a few miles from Oxford.

And yes, I love the balance between the closed back and the open front.

LLGxx