Screen shot 2012-03-04 at 13.35.58

I had a teensy rush of blood to the head, and bought this sofa for £199 from made.com. And then I had another rush and bought this side table for an amazing £35:

Screen shot 2012-03-04 at 13.41.27

I like very much what made.com do. The philosophy behind their online furniture business (based in the UK, but I hear that it is branching out to the US soon) is that they believe that “the high street and expensive designer brands give consumers a raw deal. That’s because everyone along the way takes a cut, from agents to landlords. And you – our discerning customer – pay for that cut. So we’re making a stand: taking on the high street to offer you original furniture design at affordable prices.”

It’s a clever business model. They have no showrooms – everything is virtual, and the reason that they can sell fantastic-looking furniture so cheaply is because every 7 days, they combine all the current orders for a piece and put them into production. By only manufacturing what’s been ordered, they reduce  costs, and pass the savings directly to the consumer. They also have a seven day return policy which is handy. The main drawback is the wait: it’s estimated at dispatch within 10 – 14 weeks (you can track your order), and the shipping, which added a not inconsiderable £44.88 onto the total.

I’d been contemplating a new sofa for my office for a while, but wanted something that could be slept on by me or a guest if necessary – I have a one bedroom apartment – but which definitely wasn’t a fold out sofa bed. (There’s no room.) I love this alternative: it basically just folds flat.

I do take slight issue with their projected savings tho. The glorious Bouji chair I have fallen for is £189 on Made.com – they believe it retails on the High Street for £799, but I saw it in Graham & Greene in Primrose Hill last Saturday for around £250…it’s still substantially cheaper, (maybe they bought it from Made?!) but nothing like the projected saving.

But, having looked around, my sofa is about £100 cheaper than its nearest competitor, and an awful lot nicer. (The John Lewis version is £299, doesn’t have fabric covered legs and looks much more basic.)

I ordered it on 04 March – it’s not estimated to arrive until 10 June. You do have to wonder why it takes *quite* so long…basically I’d ignore the whole, we put it into production every seven days part of the spiel and just accept that it’s going to take a bloody long time!

Interesting reading – my husband was tempted by their sofas recently, until he read the projected savings bit, did more research, and found that Trading Standards upheld a complaint against them with regard to their advertising; they still seem not to have changed it at all… That said, I’m sure your sofa will be beautiful!

I have a fold flat bed like think in my NYC studio and it’s GREAT. Takes up so much less room than a folded out sofa bed, and it’s a lot more comfortable to sleep on, because there aren’t any lumpy mechanical bits under the mattress!

I’ve just bought a gorgeous stag head cushion from them – took about a week, despite their projected 3 month delivery time. Happy bunny, all told.

Have heard less than glowing reports about quality – really hope you are luckier. It looks fab and the side table….amazing.

LLG, I love you for this post – we are renovating at the moment, and I so want a new sofa, but the regular price tags kind of kept putting me off. Thanks!
And re the wait – our last sofa took 10 weeks until it was delivered.

I ordered a Louis-type chair from Made last year and it said it would take about 3 months but it actually came a lot quicker! I was really impressed with their quality etc. Also if you refer friends you can get credit!

ooooo I hope they do make it this side of the drink! I just checked out their website and found the sofa I’ve been looking for. Want a couple of the chairs too.

Please do keep us posted whenever you do receive your furniture and how they are. It does seem like an awfully long time to wait for a sofa but at least it’s just for your office!

Love the sofa, not sure about the table though?

I ordered the purple Kubrick armchair from them a fortnight ago. Their estimated delivery time was 14 weeks but it ended up being delivered in 1 week instead!

I was a little nervous due to some negative reviews I’d read online although these mostly pertainted to Yodel which is the delivery company they use. I was told delivery between 11am and 4pm, it arrived at 5.30pm. A little irksome but nothing major.

And I absolutely love the chair. For the price I think the quality is really, really good.