Screen Shot 2012-02-08 at 18.40.26

Personally, Valentine’s Day leaves me pretty much stone cold. If the only time you feel able to tell your partner that you love them is on a day mandated by the greetings card industry then things have come to a pretty sad state of affairs. And less said about sitting trapped in a restaurant eating a rapaciously expensive set meal amongst a sea of uptight couples the better.

And then there’s the flower issue: I guess I’d just prefer that they came during the year for absolutely no reason at all, rather than because someone felt they *had* to. There is always room in my apartment for a pretty bunch of flowers, be it a posy from the garden, a bunch of daffs from the station stall, or something rather wonderful from, say, The Real Flower Company or my current London favourites Scarlet & Violet (who I wrote about here) or Broadway Market’s Rebel Rebel (from where Katie Rose sent me the most ravishing goodbye flowers).

But: I have had some Tweets & emails from some of my utterly delightful male readers – guys, you know I love you all – asking for floral advice,

and who am I to deprive their other halves from the joy of beautiful flowers? If I can spare just one girl from the horrors of hideous bouquets of yellow & pink carnations, then my work here is done.

So, as I know many of my British readers are not in London, and therefore unable to avail themselves of Scarlet & Violet (NW10) or Rebel Rebel’s (E8) services, I recommend The Real Flower Company, who specialise in proper roses. Pricey? Yes, but no more than InterFlora will scalp you for over Valentine’s.

This isn’t from their Valentine’s offering, but the Antique posy (at top) £55.00, with dusky Julia Baby and apricot scented garden roses tied in a posy with eucalyptus, mint, rosemary, viburnum and senecio is just lovely, probably my favourite because of the herbs, and not too obvious.

I also think the Blush Pink and Lavender (£45.00), with pale pink roses with fresh lavender scattered through the arrangement make this posy properly lovely.

Screen Shot 2012-02-08 at 19.38.25

If you *really* want to make a statement, then there’s the Yves Piaget, blousey, highly scented Yves Piaget garden roses tied with sprigs of rosemary and a collar of aromatic eucalyptus leaves. (£115)

Screen Shot 2012-02-08 at 18.37.55

or this just glorious scented Pastel Roses and Narcissi (£95.00). *Sighs*

Screen Shot 2012-02-08 at 19.42.17

Swoooooon. All absolutely heavenly. Especially the Blush pink and lavender. Love herbs in a bouquet. (You mistyped Scarlet and Violet as Scarlet and Rose the first time.)

Oh wow! Such beautiful flowers, my favourites are the first ones, but I wouldn’t turn any if them down!

I also admire them and am quite happy to pay a bit over the odds for their devotion to compassionate, eco-friendly development in Kenya. (I understand they fill orders from either England or a Kenyan farm owned by one of the company owners, depending on the season.) The flower trade can be so destructive on a human & environmental level…

Oh boy these are gorgeous. On any day of the year, I completely agree. I’d be just as happy with a little bunch of narcissi, or hyacinths – they smell so beautiful.

beautiful……

Beautiful and much preferable to the typical Valentine’s Day bouquet!

I’m not usually a flower person but these made my heart skip a beat! I think it might be time i stop enjoying being single so much!

You expressed my sentiments perfectly in your first paragraph. As I told my boyfriend when we started dating, I really prefer to get chocolates 12 months of the year. I also cannot have any flowers or plants unless he wants to come over and take care of them. I feel so guilty when I realize I completely forgot about them. I do love the Yves Piaget bouquet though! It’s a stunning pink.

These are so gorgeous – I’m sure that there will be some extremely thrilled ladies out there come Tuesday.

I used to love getting flowers…until my awful (now) ex-boyfriend started sending me the same Interflora arrangement over and over again, in lieu of paying me attention or bothering to speak to me. Now flower arrangements just make me cringe! These might convert me back though…

Gorgeous selection you’ve shared here; definitely nudging the men in the right direction; might just have to send my man over to your blog ‘accidentally’ (leave the page open or something).