Uniqlo Heat Tech HeatTech

This is how I spent most of the weekend. It’s amazing how, as you get older, you really do care less about what people think. When it’s cold outside I just want to be as warm as possible, and sod style. However, I will give a nod here to my beloved Uniqlo down and Heattech supplies, which do manage not to look *too* ridiculous. As one of my friends commented on Twitter when I whinged about filming outdoors on Sunday, “But you own most of Heattech, right?” And she was. I do.

Before I hoofed it to Montreal the other week, with its delightful -10C temps and snow everywhere, I spent an inordinate amount of money in Uniqlo. (And I do advise getting on the case now with buying up Heattech & down jackets – I stocked up as it is all reduced in the sale, and won’t be replaced, even if we have a massive snowfall in a month’s time. When I went to Moscow last March, there was only summer stuff in store and the lovely Uniqlo press team eventually found me a man’s jacket from the back of the stock room.)

You can now buy Heattech Jeans, Heattech tights and leggings, Heattech tops & camisoles,  socks, vests, camisoles…I also bought a Ultra Light Down Jacket, this is essentially a thin down layer  which folds into nothing and  goes under normal coats. This is essential if, like me, you need to stand around outside (in my case, for filming), but wear non winter coats etc.

Then there is the lovely fluffy Uniqlo down jacket I am wearing above, which is so warm (yet incredibly light), that with just a (Heattech obv) vest and a sweater underneath I was warm enough in the snow. Although I did wear a Heattech long sleeve silky vest thing under a dress for brunch on Saturday and ended up with a bad case of beetroot face. This stuff is really effective.

2012-01-31 16.39.36

Lots of mens snowgear left when I took my mother in last week to batter my press discount card. (She had been mothed, so had to replace her cashmere.) Those little pouches hanging off the coats are what they fold down into. Brilliant for travelling.

Winter in Minneapolis this year has been alarmingly warm and snowless. It honestly makes me fear the end of the world.

After four winters here, I think I have the winter dressing down, though I have never benefited from Heattech, which I keep hearing is wonderful. I have a Canada Goose coat and a MASSIVE sheepskin (for really cold days), but I have also found, over the years, four gorgeous vintage coats that are double faced and have an extra layer of wool between the lining and the coat. I have never seen this kind of craftsmanship on a modern coat, and let me tell you, it is WARM. Yup, easily as warm as my Canada Goose. The only difference is the weight– down is light, wool is heavy. But one is so much nicer than the other, and with a six-month winter, you can’t wear Canada Goose everyday and feel good in your soul.

P.S. If you ever come to mpls, I’ll take you vintage shopping. I swear, it pays to live in a city whose glory years were yesteryear.

@annemarie: oh I am *so* in. I have a couple of really beautiful 1950s double faced coats too – heavy but glorious that I picked up in Camden Stables Market before the buffoons that opened it turned into a goth tourist attraction. LLGxx

What a great idea to buy a man’s jacket. The female sizes look tiny and due to having an ample chest and broad shoulders I don’t think they would fit! Wonder if Uniqlo have thought about making sleeping bags!

@Catherine: I bought XL in the coats and they fit me – I am 12 body & 16 chest. Any bigger and I think mens is the way to go. LLGxx

Thanks for the tips. I have several outdoor fair’s coming up so I’m going to stock up on the Heattech to keep me toasty and warm while standing outside in the freezing cold!

@Kate Green: I partic like the HeatTech thermal tights! LLGxx

@LLG: My boyfriend is heading for Uniqlo later to purchase some heattech for me as I’m heading to Greenwich market tomorrow. I will ask him to hunt down some tights for me! Just slightly worried that I will boil on the tube but then freeze while outside. May have to travel light and then get changed once I’m there. Oh the glamour!

Great choice of clobber for the conditions last weekend: there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

@Stephen Griggs: I completely agree Stephen – nothing more miserable than being cold. Altho I am *quite* glad that I am not in Northamptonshire when it snows – my mother lives near Woodford Halse & was stranded! LLGxx

We are just across the county from your mother, in Orlingbury. Everywhere looked gorgeous & it made for a fun weekend, but getting around was certainly more challenging!

There’s nothing like a down jacket when it’s cold, I like coats but I prefer my Moncler anytime ! It’s freezing cold here in Italy and it’s pretty unusual for us.
Your blog is great, love it !

Fashion and Cookies

Thanks for this post. I have been meaning to buy some HeatTech for ages as I much prefer thin layers rather than bulk when it’s chilly. Great to hear that they’re now doing jeans too – I don’t mind layers on my top half but always feel uncomfortable about the thought of both long johns/tights and jeans.

Just received my tights, leggings, and top. Can’t wait for a reason to go out of the house and wear them! Was hoping for jeans, but looks like they’ve sold out…

I so completely. I can not survive winter without those wonderful HeatTech stuff (am I allowed to call them underwear you think?)
I absolutely hate big volume, big funky clothes so have been kind of struggling to keep decently warm …until I discovered HT some years ago. Without anting to be too dramatic but they changed my life (sort of).
On a side note when I saw this post yesterday, it made smile as i got exactly the same idea earlier this week and blogged about HT..must of a sign of the freezing temperatures here in London 🙂
bisous bisous