Screen shot 2012-01-13 at 23.34.21

I know that I am uterly wet and a wede but one look at the weather chart for Montreal from today onwards has filled me with cold-based fear. I hadn’t quite realised it would be so cold  – someone commented on here last week that it was really quite warm at 10C, so I just presumed it would stay like that. Right now, I am choosing not to process that tomorrow night’s mercury will dip to -29C, because that is unimaginably cold. And I am not much more cheered by the knowledge that the moment I arrive (Tuesday afternoon) the temperature drops 11 degrees. Splendid!

Incipient hypothermia aside, I AM looking forward to my whistlestop jaunt to Quebec. After mangling the French language in Marrakech last week, it’ll be fun to murder it again in Montreal. (Although of course my Parisian friends would have it that the Quebecois murder it every time they open their mouths. Sorry guys, just sayin’.)

There are lots of firsts: my first trip to Canada full stop,  as well as my first flight on Air Canada, my first stay at the W Montreal, and my first chance to poke around the city, so lots to report back on. I am only there for two nights – arrive Tuesday afternoon, leave on the red eye on Thursday night, and will be in meetings all day Weds & Thurs, but if anyone has any good suggestions for what I should do on Tuesday later afternoon and evening, I’m all (covered in furry hat) ears.

Addendum: Just received the following Tweets. Thanks guys! Now I KNOW to pack the Moscow kit!

@eliizabeth: @LibertyLndnGirl we also just got like fifteen cm of snow over yesterday and today!
@CaroIssa: @LibertyLndnGirl have fun in my hometown, despite the cold. And it’ll be COLD!
@sashasarah: @LibertyLndnGirl don’t forget to lower those numbers with the wind chill:)
@mcusack_romano: @LibertyLndnGirl Ah yes, Canadian winters are *lovely*! Dress warm. x.
@xSarahHayleyx: @LibertyLndnGirl When we went my camera lens kept freezing!!
@LouiseHitch: @LibertyLndnGirl basically like your face will fall off!
@eliizabeth: @LibertyLndnGirl yes! cold weekend ahead too- its gonna feel like -25 with the windchill! yay for mtl…? 🙁

Like your face will fall off is probably the most accurate description; Canadian winters are so much fun. Montreal is an amazing city in spite of the weather. Good luck with Air Chance!

@Laura P: Air Chance! Love it! LLGxx

I’m gonna email you info on Montreal. wish you were coming to TO. x s

@s: Me too darling, me too. And thank you. LLGxx

Mentally, it is more palatable in Fahrenheit. Try that. 5F degree sounds much better than NEGATIVE 15! Yeesh… I grew up just south of the Great Lakes where the winters are actually much worse due to lake effect winds and snow. But lordy those numbers are still scary.

@Erica: gosh – yes, I’ve heard about that mental wind chill where you grew up! I’m just a British softy, whinging when the mercury hits -1C! LLGxx

Really, it’s a nice, dry cold. I love Mtl. in the winter. I’ve been there at all times of year and I’d rather winter in Quebec than in Ontario any day. The food there is awesome, btw.

@K-Line: Poutine! But seriously am super duper excited! And that’s good to hear about the cold. LLGxx

Ouch! And here was me thinking it’s turned much colder in London…Good luck and enjoy 🙂

wow that building looks incredible

Yes. Sorry about that temperatures have taken a nose dive! The cold is bad but it depends on how much you need to be outside – most places will be well insulated so go for layers. But you know that already. I hope you have fun!

At least you have an excuse to wear your new Hunter snowboots!

@American suburbanite in rural England: oh I wish! Unfortunately I am travelling with hand baggage only so no room for my giant boots! LLGxx

@LLG: Oh bummer, keep warm!

Thank you all for all the good wishes! LLGxx

I dressed as if I was going skiing and wore my snow (grippy) boots so I could take hand sized luggage FULL of thermal long vests leggins etc and whole load cashmere sweaters and leggins too. Plus the ugliest piece of headgear EVER invented….
The Balaclava! EEk , to wear under my fur(faux) hat .
However i did not regret it, the wind can feel like its literally taking your skin off! and with only your watering eyes bare beneath your shades.
Sorry.
Just saying.
I hope you really enjoy the beautiful scenery though. It really is magical.Take lots of pics.
Jx