Behind the Scenes on a Fashion Shoot AGAIN….

by Sasha Wilkins on October 29, 2011 · 30 comments

Maybe instead of Recipe Friday, I should introduce Shoot Friday, because this was the second Friday in a row I was taking part in a photo shoot. This time it was for a magazine again, but instead of a portrait shoot, it was an on location fashion shoot. And, no, I wasn’t styling it. I was *deep breath* modelling the clothes for a fashion brand’s campaign in a Very Large Fashion magazine. (It’s out at the end of the month.)

Of course I shot the Hunter campaign, but that was just the one shot. This was FOUR looks. Although I still feel like a complete imposter – let’s face it, I’m not and never have been a contender in the model stakes, eighteen months after giving up my blog anonymity I am used, sort of, to being in front of a camera, as opposed to behind it. I don’t feel awkward moving around as directed, and know now how to incrementally move my body during set ups to capture the different angles required by the photographer.

Not that that means I get it right, but at least I now don’t just stand there like a self-conscious lemon. I learnt pretty quickly that, whilst I’m always going to feel like that inside, it’s essentially just time-wasting and disrespectful of all the crew hanging around to act like a coy teenager on set. They don’t think I’m showing off if I try to act like I know what I’m doing. They just think I am getting on with it.

We had SUCH a great crew (I LOVED the hair & make up by Athena & Peter) and were very lucky with the weather: bright sunshine, cloudless clear blue skies, orange falling leaves. With a call time of 0930hrs, we did the fittings, hair & makeup at Sunbeam Studios

(That’s me just before we left, with my hair pinned to stop the waves falling)

on Barlby Road in W10, west London, and then got into cars to go prance around Notting Hill.

One of the crew spotted a man walking his two huskies and, next thing we knew, he’d been persuaded to lend me Keiko, while Kyla looked on.

_MG_3293

(That’s me above with our canine super-model, a husky named Keiko.)

We shot three looks, with me changing in the back of an estate car (it’s glamour all the way with me – I was asked if I minded not going back to the unit base to change in between each look, and of course I said no – as if anyone’s going to care about me wriggling into a pair of tights on a street corner.)

Before we knew it, the clock had hit 1530hrs, so we zipped back for a very late lunch at the studio (Chicken & chorizo stew, lentil & spinach lasagne, roasted butternut squash)

_MG_3335

before heading to Pizza East on Portobello to do my portrait shot, whilst I sat outside pretending to drink a cappuccino, wearing f**k off red lipstick, and bouffy hair, with a large audience gathered watching the set up.

{ 26 comments… read them below or add one }

Anne At Large October 29, 2011 at 19:44

Love Keiko and Kyla! Do please keep giving us Shoot Fridays, it’s wonderful to be able to peek behind the scenes. And please don’t forget to link to wherever these are published so we can see the final product as well!

But don’t replace Recipe Friday, I have a file of your recipes all waiting to be tried…

Anne At Large October 29, 2011 at 19:45

Did that last sound a bit bossy? Because it was meant to be appreciative, FYI. Thank you for sharing all these slices of your life!

LLG October 30, 2011 at 19:29

@Anne At Large: No! Not at all! And thank you LLGxx

Nathalia October 29, 2011 at 19:49

Your hair looks amazing! I can’t wait to see the photos.
Btw, I think I saw you yesterday in Portobello rd, at night! I wasn’t sure, but now I know u were around Notting Hill…

LLG October 30, 2011 at 19:31

@Nathalia: Thank you! I was on Portobello, so maybe, yes! LLGxx

Susan October 29, 2011 at 19:56

I saw that great pic of you on Twitter…you looked fab. The weather did indeed look lovely. I think it’s just great that since you gave up anonymity, several terrific opps have turned up. You’re making the absolute best of them. Those of us who’ve read you for some time (I started sometime just before you went to NJ) & know the travails of apts burning down & so on…well, we’re just so happy for you, Sasha!

We knew you when:)

xoxo

LLG October 30, 2011 at 19:39

@Susan: Thanks lovely! It’s certainly been a rollercoaster eighteen months and I am still whirling around. But you know how much I love that you still read me…LLGxx

blahblahbecky.co.uk October 30, 2011 at 04:57

Sounds like a fun day, I can’t wait to see the results! Your hair does indeed look gorgeous and the hint of make up we see in the top shot is wowing me already – red lipstick is my true love.

Those dogs are so beautiful! I hope you didn’t struggle to hand her back…

LLG October 30, 2011 at 19:40

@blahblahbecky.co.uk: The dogs were AMAZING! The lippie was this fabulous red/orange blend which just works brilliantly on me, as I can’t wear a blue/red cos of my rosacea. LLGxx

Prettygreentea October 30, 2011 at 05:07

Oh wow, this all sounds very exciting and once again I really enjoy posts like this, along with your other posts of course ! Thanks for sharing :)

LLG October 30, 2011 at 19:41

@Prettygreentea: Thanks! I’m going to keep on doing these behind the scenes posts, as they are so popular. LLGxx

kat - rocknrollbride October 30, 2011 at 05:20

cant wait to see which mag this is for and i LOVE pizza east. the photo booth downstairs is way too fun

GawgusThings October 30, 2011 at 05:51

How exciting! Any tips for ‘posing’ then?! It’s the bit I dislike the most about blogging!! Can’t wait to see the full shoot :)

LLG October 30, 2011 at 19:45
Pat McNulty October 30, 2011 at 08:31

Love the dogs! Such beautiful light for a shoot. What are the heels? Liking!

LLG October 30, 2011 at 19:45

@Pat McNulty: We were VERY lucky with the weather. The heels are Diesel. Fab! LLGxx

annemarie October 30, 2011 at 08:40

I like this: “They don’t think I’m showing off if I try to act like I know what I’m doing. They just think I am getting on with it.” I’m going to remember that one when my internal “who do you think you are?” voice needs to be silenced.

LLG October 30, 2011 at 19:46

@annemarie: It’s taken me a long time to get here, believe me. I think we all have that voice. LLGxx