I love autumn. It’s my favourite season. Wrapped up in snuggly clothes, but with sun still shining, I like tramping around in the parks with the dog prancing in front and eating soups & cake & pies & plums. Which brings me to my autumnal breakfast.

I eat yoghurt for breakfast every day, in the summer with peaches & strawberries, & in autumn with blackberries and plums and pomegranates if I can find them. I add rolled oats and various nuts & seeds. (I avoid granola, honey and dried fruits because of their high sugar content.)

It may seem, on first glance, like filler to write a recipe complete with method, for something as simple as a dish of yoghurt and fruit for breakfast but, if you make it properly layering it all up in a glass, rather than dumping it in a bowl –  in five minutes, not three, then you have something truly delightful. As opposed to just all right.

If you are going to focus on eating healthily, it’s amazing how much more of a food event it can seem if you serve something that looks good. And, in this case, the presentation really does make it taste better. Here’s why:

Layering it all up allows the flavours to mingle. The yogurt softens the oats, so the texture is different (& they become easier to digest), and the plums start to leach their sticky, sweet juice into the yogurt. The pomegranates and the plums are a perfect combo: the sweet ooze of the plums contrasts perfectly with the slightly puckery crunchy pomegranate seeds.

Of course if you are reading this in England you’re going to be wondering what I have done with the yummy frozen ice-cream-y pud. That’s because in America a layered yoghurt & fruit dessert is known as a parfait. (And, for that matter, pudding in the US is a gloopy creamy cold dessert, not a generic name for dessert as it is in England.)

Anyway.

Pick a pretty glass – it’s easy to make too much, so choose something small. Put in a layer of yoghurt, followed by oats & seeds, more yoghurt, then pomegranate seeds, making sure you get them close to the sides so you can see them in the layers. Add more yogurt, and then top with thinly sliced and chopped plums. Victorias in an ideal world.

Done.

Leave for 5-10 minutes if you can to let the flavours mingle. I’m going to add here that the boys I am staying with wanted more sweetness, and asked for a drizzle of honey. Your call.

Looks worthy of the chicest brunch spots. I am so guilty of dumping my yogurt and grains in the nearest cereal bowl but I’m going to start layering now – at least on weekends!

@KSalty: oh me too! I photographed this first in a bowl and it looked like crap. And was surprised how much tastier it was when i ate this after shooting it! LLGxx

This looks absolutely divine – presentation makes such a difference yet sometimes it’s so easy to cut corners for the sake of a few minutes… and enjoy food so much less as a consequence. Thanks for sharing this, looks gorgeous.

@seema: Thank you! Grated I’m as guilty of lobbing my food in a bowl as the next person, but sometimes the extra effort is so worthwhile. LLGxx

Yum Yum looks good.

@inhale fashionandbeauty: Thank you! LLGxx

Was it the doggy boys or the human boys who wanted more honey?

Looks like a tasty autumn version of bircher muesli.

@Catherine: ha! The human boys. The dogs wld inhale ANYTHING. LLGxx

that’s pretty.
I do this with crumble too layer of cooked apple layer of crumble layer of thick custard and repeat but with another cooked fruit like rhubarb or plum compote . finish with cold thick cream and sprinkle with dark moscavado sugar. Bloody lovely , but as you say use a thin or short glass to avoid excessive-ness.
Great inner party finish. never had a bad word against it so far!
J x

@janie: Mmmmmm……i love this too…there’s something about melting Muscovado sugar…LLGxx

sorry meant dinner party(oops) Jx

Looks yummy!!!

I’d never thought of trying this. Usually, when I have oats with yoghurt, it just tasted foul. I can imagine how delicious this is by marrying different flavors together with the oat and a slight drizzle of honey. Thank you for sharing this.

@chocolatecookiesandcandies: yup, I agree with you Oats & yoghurt together is not an alluring combo. The oats sort of dissolve so you don;t feel like you are being hammered over the head by nutrition! LLGxx

Beautiful. I eat yogurt and fruit everyday too, but I am going to try it parfait style like you do. How special.