This is the view from the dining conservatory out the back of my new London home. So calm, so tranquil. It’s hard to imagine that it is right, slap, bang in the middle of one of the busiest parts of the city. It’s a good thing that the view is so calm, because this is what it looks like right now inside the apartment:

I am still so traumatised by the feckin awful experience that I had with www.simplyremovals.co.uk (simply don’t), that I can’t quite bring myself to write about it yet but, suffice to say that they unloaded all the small bags & boxes first so that by the time they decided to bring up the big furniture there was no room to put it anywhere. This is my bedroom. Which now contains my desk. Upside down. Thanks guys.

Obviously rational people would have put all the boxes & bags in the conservatory but that would have been waaaaayy too logical for this simply appalling removals company.

Because they only deigned to turn up at 530pm on Monday, & took 4.5hrs to load a 1 bed apt (but only 1hr to unload), I only managed to unpack a few boxes of china, as I had to then get up on Tuesday at 0630hrs to drive to Northamptonshire & back to return my dad’s Jeep before I left for France at lunchtime (instead of doing it on Monday night as planned).

*sends waves of loathing to www.simplyremovals.co.uk*.

There is a glimmer in the darkness tho: I have a lady coming in for two days next week to help me unpack and organise. You’ve seen these pics – I think I would go insane if I tried to do it a seul. And poor E who is staying there whilst I am away would probable also go crazy, and I’d hate to have her mental health on my conscience.

When I moved the removals company was absolutely wonderful. It made such a difference. Your experience sounds awful.

God – that is terrifying. Even my garage which is full of junk looks better than your new home. What did they do? Throw the stuff in from the street? Hope you complained/didn’t pay them.

@Louise: Pretty much! Lob is the verb I would use. LLGxx

I wish I had seen the bad reviews. I believe the two Eastern European employees removed me of 40k of precious jewellery. They damaged so many things that cannot be replaced and have disappeared with no trace. Simply Removals have no sympathy and have denied all culpability in the most appalling way. Now we go legal. They are not people you would want in your home.

Oh God. You poor thing. Good luck. I’m sure you’ll get through it with flying colours!
xoxo
Alison

Aw Sasha, I’m sorry you’ve had a bad time but I think its the norm these days.
I’ll never use a removal co. again!
Last year when we moved home our delivery people sent a small lorry (despite the fact we were moving out of a large 3 bed 1930s semi had garden furniture plants in large heavy pots etc) they had no mattress covers, (despite us filling in the form specifically saying we had large heavy furniture three sofas armchairs two dining table and chair sets a range cooker a brand new bespoke “And so to bed” bed frame and bloody expensive handmade mattress etc!) Not to mention all the books, bookcases, the clothing, shoes, oh my gawd!
They also had no idea about anything and spoke in grunts.
I was expecting a professional moving service, that’s what we’d paid for?
We had to nag them for the boxes crates tissue etc that we’d paid extra for and which arrived late giving me only two days to wrap and pack years worth of vintage china and glass wear collections. My hubby and I had to make several journeys in our respective car/van, to pick up all the stuff as there just wasn’t room on the stupid piddling truck!
So when we got to the new house we had gone over the time, (the bank hadn’t yet released money in time) So they refused to let us unpack and took all our stuff to a depo overnight. Not wanting to sleep on bare concrete /wooden floors with our son and the poor bloody dog I rang my nearest sister in tears and she took mercy on us gave us hot baths dinner wine and the use of her sofas and comfy carpetted floor over night.
The next day was a Saturday, so guess what ? We had to pay extra for them to work on a Saturday! Arrgh!
They practically threw our stuff willy-nilly into the house and that was despite the fact I had written “bathroom” , “main bedroom” “sitting room” clearly on the boxes.My lovely mattress was bent in half! to get it around the stair case consequently leaving a permanent ridge down the middle.
We were told we could sue the bank and then if we won that then try to get compensassion for everything off the removal co but to be frank It was a relief to be in and I hadn’t the physical or mental capacity to go for it.
Let alone the initial outlay financially.
It was in short a nightmare move and so (if) there is a next time I will revert back to what was always the best solution and often good fun, namely, get a load of your mates round, hire a few trucks self drive and get it knocked out in a day have a party in the evening , Job Done!
And no I’m still not quite over it yet. ( weeps, remembering) Jx

@janie: oh my goodness – that is some story! Thank you for sharing. (And I sympathise – I had to sleep on the floor too!) LLGxx

@janie:
Unless, of course, one was to hire those trucks from a rental company who, with absolutely no warning, were then unable to provide sad trucks on the day and substituted with a model considerably smaller into which you could not fit the contents of a three bedroom house en route from London to Edinburgh. A journey you would then have to repeat a week later, with another hire van, entirely at your own expense because the rental company had refused to accept any responsibility, offer any compensation or provide a complimentary or even discounted vehicle. Pah! Much sympathy/empathy to you all.

@Flora Fauna Dinner: Bloody hell girl! That sounds pretty damn awful too!
I really will be moving myself forever after that last rubbish co.
I really love my new home though so It’s gonna be me they drag out in a box next time! ha ha
Janie x

eeeek please be careful about showing all these pics of your new house S. It’s not hard for twitter/blog followers/stalkers to figure out where you live and know that you have loads of expensive tech equipment etc. Susie Bubble got burgled not long ago – would hate that to happen to you 🙁

@disneyrollergirl: hmmm you do have a point – altho I would also add that I don’t own ANY home electricals (no TV/DVD/Desktop) – bar a Magimix and all my tech travels with me pretty much every time I leave the house…and I have never mentioned my street – when I put up a photo of the area for my last one it was actually a street five streets from mine! But I will bear this in mind. LLGxx

Couldn’t be sure, but I think that is the same company my boss used, with similarly horrific results. They assured her it would only take 4 hours to pack a 2 bed apartment, and refused to come assess how much stuff she had when she offered. They were due at 9am, turned up at 7pm and didn’t finish loading till 2am Tuesday morning. Eventually she got to ‘bed’ (sleeping bag on sofa as bed was buried somewhere) at about 6am. Then they flatly refused to give her any money back because ‘it was her fault for having so much stuff’.

Of course, a few things got broken too.

Hope a lovely home is magically (the magic of hard work I’m sure) revealed from under the piles!

@Kenners: wowee – that is pretty much EXACTLY my experience. C88Ts. LLGxx

I hope you’ve complained about the removals company. That’s absolutely unacceptable. I was very lucky with the company I used when I moved. They were polite and incredibly professional. They didn’t place anything without asking me first & when I couldn’t decide where to put something, they came up with a good solution.

@Beautiful Things: GOD – that cldn’t be further from my experience – essentially they just lobbed it all in & I was to broken & tired to do anything about it by that point. http://www.simplyremovals.co.uk are the worst feckin company I have worked with with in years. Unprofessional to a jaw dropping degree. LLGxx

Looks like it will be a beautiful space when you get the boxes sorted out. Have another clothes swap so that we can all see it.

@Laura: hmm You & L are always welcome but hell will freeze over before I host another clothes swap, seeing as no one bothered to say thank you for the last one! LLGxx

@LLG: Oh my, we have terrible manners, don’t we? Well, THANK YOU for hosting! It was wonderful, the guacamole was like a little slice of home and the curry was delicious! I wore the dress I got from Beanie while in Paris and I love the hair product I scored from you.

Wow that is indeed a horror story. I myself have had to move house a lot in recent years and as soon as I found a wonderful mover, I booked him exclusively. I even got a discount for booking him 3 times in 1 year!

@Cat Alberts: Your new house looks absolutely wonderful, I forgot to say. Congratulations!

@Cat Alberts: wow, I’ve moved twice this year, but I am SO drawing a line there. I think three times would kill me! LLGxx

The upside to this is that the new flat seems fabulous–at least the view out of the dining room does. Easy on the eye. But–how easily can Simply Removals remove the pox I just put on them?

What? Susie Bubble burgled? This is a new low. Fashionista burglars reading popular blogs and using deductive reasoning and a GPS to get their thieving hands on a piece of Prada. .

@Suzanna: Poor Susie lost all her camera equipment. Altho I don’t know whether the blogging was a coincidence. Fortunately I don’t use hard core camera kit (I have a simple Canon G12 which goes everywhere with me) so there isn’t much at mine which could possibly of interest to any burglars. Unless they are partic interested in my food supplies! LLGxx