Sasha Wilkins Veuve

The weather forecasters got it absolutely spot on this weekend. It was 18C and pouring with rain at Cowdray Park for the Veuve Clicquot Gold Cup Polo Final on Sunday. I went with the outfit I was mulling over last week – a lined, wool Whistles dress from the first drop of their AW collection, and tan leather wedges from Comptoir des Cotonniers. As I watched my friends in their flimsy florals teetering through the mud and sinking in the grass the length of their 4″ stilettos it was difficult not to feel smug in my toasty warm dress and stable shoes.

I added Dries van Noten for Linda Farrow sunglasses, my new Whistles bag, a cream parasol & orange-y red Revlon nail varnish. I do like a proper umbrella. I have never really understood why one would go to all the bother of dressing up, only to unfurl a plastic  Disney or black exec pop-up umbrella in the rain. Equally I’ve found at festivals like the Big Chill when the plan is to do lolling on the grass in the sunshine (as opposed to frantic dancing), that a parasol is perfect for those with a morgue-like pallor – like myself – to protect themselves from the heat).

My umbrellas of choice would come from James Smith & Sons in London but, given my tendency to lose anything that isn’t tied to my body, my compromise solution is to buy my supplies on-line at a tenner a pop from whoever is selling them cheapest that day. (I’ve seen this style or similar on sale for upwards of eighty quid at specialist umbrella suppliers, so it’s worth doing your research: keywords are parasol umbrella). I found these ones for £9.49 each (free delivery) on eBay.

Added: Lots of queries as to the provenance of the brown leather bracelet: it’s the Bianca Cuff in Bronze from Desa. Amazing leather & an absolute steal at £20.

Absolutely LOVE this look on you – you are so chic in your Whistles and wedges (I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect tan wedges – that I can actually walk in – for two years now, but still to no avail sadly). And I buy the exact same parasol umbrellas on ebay (for the same reasons – I either lose everything, or they break in the wind. Learned my mistake from buying an expensive frilled parasol umbrella in Australia, only for it to break in an instant one day in London).

Briony xx

@A Girl, A Style: I highly recommend these wedges! A reader found a pair in the Nottingham CdC, so they are still available…*enabling smirk* LLGxx

And the leather strap on your wrist? Which I like, by the way? This is such a subtle outfit, but so subversive. Wonderful.

@Lisa: it’s the Bianca Cuff in Bronze from Desa. Amazing leather & an absolute steal at £20. Link on the main postnow. LLGxx

I need that parasol in my life! Heading to eBay now, thanks for the tip 🙂

@blahblahbecky.co.uk: Yay! And they have them in pink too…I am quite tempted! LLGxx

Now I can see how much room the Whistle bags has, I must check it out when I’m in town tomorrow.

You look chic by the way 😀

@Kit: Yes, it’s great – really roomy, with four interior pockets. LLGxx

Yes! I too spotted that lovely leather strap on the wrist! I’m glad you felt pretty smug. I am, to be frank, a weather-watching nazi and constant nag at my friends to remember to dress appropriately (practically and stylishly) for the weather. But do they listen…

Thanks for sharing!!

xx

@Rae Bridge: Wow you two are really eagle-eyed – esp considering I didn’t even register it when I was writing the post! LLGxx

love your look ..so hard to get polo look right , to look chic and effortless in a field full of horses and sweaty men!!

@Kate holmes: Yes, it is tricky. I’m just glad I went for comfort & warmth! LLGxx

I love the parasol! Many thanks indeed for the tip on where to find one at a decent price, I am another one who seems to shed anything and everything, a problem only exacerbated as the alcoholic units creep up.

The whole look is so brilliant, it’s just ‘right’ not underdressed nor over-the-top. The wedges look so comfy too. Somehow I always end up as the one stuck in the grass. I never learn.

@Naomi Marie: Thank you! i’m a huga fan of these brollies. They impress for minimal outlay, so it’s all win as far as I am concerned! LLGxx

The outfit came up a treat — you look fab.

Pretty! I love your umbrella, it could work as a parasol as well if it was ever sunny!!
Love your dress, so lucky you you can pull off a-lined dresses! xx