Photos - 10769

So I’m off to the final of the Veuve Clicquot Gold Cup at Cowdray Park on Sunday. I’m pleased: after all, what’s not to like about ponies, Argentinian riders of said ponies, and Champagne? Really it’s the most perfect combination.

Of course, there is the small matter of what to wear. I do think that it’s a bit odd to essentially turn up, as some do, in a spangly cocktail frock & pointy heels on a Sunday afternoon, when you are going to be standing around on grass at a sporting event.

Frankly, although I can’t love the morals of the film, (shopping & sex, girls, that’s all you’re good for), Julia Robert’s Cerrutti 1881 brown & white polka dot dress in Pretty Woman was the pinnacle of a pretty dress for the polo. Unfortunately it is also exceptionally dated.

So after some thought, I looked for some tan wedges – we all know I can fall over my feet walking down a level street, so I need something stable on my feet. I looked & looked in shops high & low, and then in Barcelona last weekend I found these brilliant shoes on sale in Comptoir des Cotonniers – (ah the global market that lets us buy in Spain, a pair of French shoes, manufactured in Romania) which are just what I wanted.

Photos - 10770 Photos - 10773

I’m thinking about pairing them with this dress from Whistles‘ most recent drop, which is beautifully simple, works now and will be great for AW11’s mod feel too. It is wool, but given that summer appears to have passed us by this year, I am confident this will not be a problem.

Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 01.03.18

Love the shoes (ah, the global market, I’ll go check them in Via Frattina today!) and yes, you need wedges if you’re spending your Sunday on the grass. The dress looks nothing special in the pic, but I’m sure it can be adorable on an actual woman’s body! 😉

But polka dots are a big trend?
Love the wedges and the dress, perfect combination.

Perfect wedges..they actually look so comfortable!

I’ve written a piece on wedges..

A wise choice – can’t be wearing stiletto heels for stomping in the divots. Have an amazing time – polo is always such a great day out. x

Love the wedges – I got a fab pair of tan wedges at French Connection earlier this season. Perilously high and quite pointless for my (yummy?) mummy life in Oxford (sigh), but they’re fantastic, so sod it.

Great dress, too…

I adore the shoes! A wedge with an ankle strap will be perfect for the polo match…you won’t lose a shoe. 🙂

IN LOVE WITH THESE!

As luck would have it I’ll be near a CDC tomorrow, fingers crossed they’re stocked in the UK.

I found them on Friday whilst visiting some friends in Nottingham, marked down twice as luck would have it. Brilliant!

Those wedges are amazing!! 🙂

Adorable. I just packed 2 pairs of 3-4 inch wedges for traipsing around the Malian bush which at first blush doesn’t seem very practical but ended up being perfect as it was rainy season and I stayed unwobbly and had dry feet.

I will keep an eye out for you in that dress and those shoes. If you manage to be near the pony line of our team Les Lions then send me a message. While you ladies enjoy champagne we will be busy and enjoying tea and chocolate hob nobs, until after the game that is!