I miss New York. I miss LA. I miss Mexican food in all its iterations: TexMex, the echt West Coast stuff, Chipotle, TacoHell, the hole in the wall on 2nd…if it wasn’t for the lone branch of Chipotle on Charing Cross Road and Thomasina Miers’ excellent Wahaca restaurants, I’d be in withdrawal hell.

So my go to snack food is usually Mexican in inspiration, although I’m not going to pretend for a moment that this is proper Mexican. So for today’s recipe Friday I give you my homemade quesadillas…which are so simple a child could make them – in fact they’d probably be quite fun to make with kids.

To make the quantity above – eight small cheesy triangles, grate enough cheese to generously cover a single wheat tortilla (these are the ones generally sold in the UK, as opposed to corn tortillas.). I use cheddar, but Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack are better – but I can’t seem to find them in the UK.

Then put a tortilla in a frying pan, cover it with the cheese and top with a second tortilla, and cook till the bottom is coloured as in the image above. I use my non-stick Green Pan which doesn’t need any oil, but you could heat a teaspoon of a bland vegetable oil to fry the tortilla. (Not gonna lie: It is nicer cooked in oil, but I am on a regime.)

Then flip over the tortilla sandwich and cook the bottom. You don’t want the heat too high at any point otherwise the cheese won’t melt.

Whilst it is cooking, make up a batch of my guacamole ( this takes just a few minutes if you use a pestle & mortar), and chop up some tomatoes to make a quick salsa. I add salt, coriander & hot sauce to the tomatoes for some kick. A little chopped onion would be lovely.

Then cut the quesadilla into eight triangles – and you are done. If making a second batch, keep warm in a low oven. A blob of sour cream would be good too, but…the regime.

Yummy! I will definately try these x

@Michelle Gregory: Let me know how they go! LLGxx

Oh yum! Thanks for the reminder about how to make these. The best quesadillas I EVER had were at the student union at UT (Austin) while I was on a Fellowship there, and were home-made by a local Mexican couple, with Portobello mushrooms, and a salsa to die for. A generous amount of cilantro (as they call it there) and red onions diced into the salsa made it. Oh, I do miss Austin …

@Redbookish: I LOVE mushrooms in quesadillas. That’s my next Mexican recipe for sure! LLGxx

If you think London lacks Mexican food, try Munich! However, in London I loved going to Chilango on Fleet Street (they have a branch on Upper Street too). Not as good as in the US but the best I’ve found so far!

@Jenny: Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve struggled for vegetarian food in Germany – I’ve def never even tried to look for Mexican! LLGxx

Thanks for the fantastic inspiration for my late lunch today!

@Khatija: How did it go? LLGxx

Yeah, definitely add some cilantro & onions to those tomatoes for a close enough pico de gallo. Also, they do make fat free and low fat sour cream, if you want to add a small dollop.

However, there are studies that show that there is a minimum amount of fat in a diet that is necessary to break down fat cells. Otherwise, it’s like adding money to your wallet and refilling it from the ATM without spending any. The wallet keeps getting fatter and fatter.

And if you’re going to use fat, olive oil is the absolute healthiest. It’s good for blood pressure, cholesterol and dry skin. So a teaspoon of olive oil to cook the quesadilla, and another of sour cream, may actually garner better results than leaving them out…if the rest of the day’s meals are spot on the regime. 🙂

@Rebecca: But aren’t you missing the fact that the tortillas are stuffed full of cheese?! LLGxx

Yum! Out of all places Asda sells Monterey Jack.

@Sneaky Magpie: BRILLIANT! Now I need to find an ASDA. Have a sinking feeling that the nearest is on Canary bloody Wharf. LLGxx

You should check out Buen Provecho. He’s only in Waterloo on weekday lunchtimes but if you’re ever remotely nearby do go. His tacos are to die for.

@Helen: Adding to the list for next time I’m round there! Thank you. LLGxx

Have you been to Lupita on Villiers Street yet? The food was divine and I believe the owners are from the right side of the world!

@Mo Thompson: Thanks Mo. I’ll check it out. LLGxx

Mmmmmh … you made me hungry!! 🙂

You can visit my blog, If you want to

@Lisa: Thanks Lisa LLGxx

Agree with missing Cali/Mex and Tex/Mex food over here. You need to check out Arturo, from Buen Provecho who has a stall in Lower Marsh, Waterloo, usually Tuesday through Friday from 11 am. He has a page on Facebook and Helen Graves – Food Stories did a post on him after I praised his food. But, he was at Elephant and Castle at the time and he is no longer there Last time I went to see him at 2 pm, he had completely sold out. I was quite distraught. His guac (the best I have had here) and other salsas are complimentary and you can sample them while waiting for your order.

@Catherine: He sounds amazing. SO checking him out. Thank you! LLGxx