Recipe: Mushroom, Spinach, Lentil, Feta, Quinoa Salad

by Sasha Wilkins on April 1, 2011 · 12 comments

This is healthy, carb-light (aghh summer approaching, no more tights and baggy sweaters), and PACKED with vitamins. And so very, very idiot-proof. (I hope.)

First: put 2 x pans of water on to boil.

You want to roughly chop your mushrooms, sprinkle them with salt to encourage the juices to leach out and sweat them – that means cook gently in a little olive oil – for about 5-10 mins, so they stay plump-ish whilst still giving off lovely cooking juices, which we’ll use to moisten the salad. This is the finished result:

Whilst they are sweating away, boil up your green or Puy lentils, and cook your quinoa according to packet instructions (LLG cop out!). It should look like this when cooked, with the teeny tiny tails poking out:

(Drain in a sieve not a colander as it will wash through the larger holes! Yup, I’ve made that mistake.)

Wash your spinach in a colander and either chuck it in a saucepan to wilt – no extra water, or zap it for 30 secs in a microwave. Squeeze out excess water. Then grab a big bowl and add all your ingredients, including cooking juices from mushrooms, and the feta, crumbled.

Hopefully your lentils are now cooked, (you could use tinned ones in a bind, I suppose), so drain them and add them to the bowl too.

I don’t bother with a pre-made dressing: I just drizzle over some grassy Greek olive oil, lots of lemon juice, some crunchy Maldon salt & a few grinds of black pepper. And some Tabasco as am a chili freak, but clearly that’s not to everyone’s taste.

Yum

Ingredients:
Small green lentils – or Puy if you have them
Quinoa
Mushrooms – I used a mix of white & Chestnut
fresh spinach
olive oil for cooking & extra virgin for dressing
lemon juice
Maldon salt
black pepper grinder
Feta cheese, crumbled

More LLG Food & Recipe posts here

As lots of lovely readers tell me that they make my recipes over the weekend, I have decided to designate Friday as official recipe day. That’s not to say I won’t do food stuff on other days too, just that there will always be a Friday recipe…and not at 8pm like this one. (I’ve been in come-down from the amazing-ness of speaking at yesterday’s Fashion Business Club talk + styling my window at Dolce & Gabbana + dealing with queries following today’s Evening Standard coverage of the launch of London & Partners. (The shoot I was banging on about last week.)

ANYWAY.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Fatima Malagueira April 1, 2011 at 15:28

Looks Yummy, made your Rhubarb Crumble cake yesterday – delicious! Keep the recipes coming :-)

Blah Blah Becky April 1, 2011 at 15:43

Not really related to this delicious-sounding recipe but did I spy you at the Boux Avenue launch party on Wednesday evening? I was too shy to say hello so hopefully it just wasn’t you and I just spared myself any potential embarrassment…

Sylvia April 2, 2011 at 06:44

Yum! May substitute quinoa with bulgar, but will definitely make this.

Cáti April 2, 2011 at 12:37

Great idea with the recipe posts!
loved your blog :)
I’m following, would you like to follow back?

Debbie April 2, 2011 at 16:41

Thanks! This is on the menu for tonight’s dinner. Looks fantastic and so easy to pull together. Keep the recipes coming!

Clare April 2, 2011 at 17:40

Most definitely making this. All my favourites in one dish! Chili freak here too…can’t get enough.

Lisa April 3, 2011 at 04:07

You made me hungry :/ :D

miss mac April 6, 2011 at 05:49

I made this one tonight – such a healthy combo! I cook my quinoa by evaporation (2 cups of water to 1 cup of quinoa) so no tricky draining issues :)

Amy April 6, 2011 at 18:29

You totally inspired me to do some cooking. Here’s one of my favorite recipes for kicking off the Spring diet (& cleaning out my fridge). I just put one in the oven a few min ago!

Veggie Pie Recipe:
Sautee approx 4 cups of veggies with 1tsp olive oil. It can be anything in leftover your refrigerator…mushrooms, onion, broccoli slaw, steamed cauliflower, spinach, etc. Add salt, cumin, coriander, white pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 Tbl flour & 4 eggs. Pour mixture into a greased pie plate and bake at 400 degrees for 20min (or until the top starts to turn golden brown color).

justarabbit April 7, 2011 at 16:03

Yum! I just made this and almost forgot the feta. It tastes good with or without. I used some chard and bok choy instead of the spinach and added a pinch of red onion. I definitely was in need of some inspiration, so thanks!