I cannot tell a lie. I am fascinated, utterly fascinated with the Royal Wedding. Just as fascinated as I was in 1981 with the wedding of the Prince of Wales & Lady Diana Spencer. Of course  I am a *little* older now – I have no desire to play royal weddings in the garden with a length of net curtain and a pair of eight sizes too big heels from the dressing-up box.

As usual with me, it’s all down to the lure of The Dress. It’s going to be such a beautiful, extraordinary piece of couture, employing the finest fabrics, the most skilled artisans, and doubtless extraordinary embroidery, that it’ll be a fashion journalist’s wet dream.

Back in November when the papers worldwide were full of feverish, and frankly ludicrous, speculation as to who might design Kate Middleton’s wedding dress, I wrote a dissection of the available options here. I narrowed it down to a shortlist of two: a specialist couture wedding dress designer or my personal choice, the British house of Alexander McQueen. Although, I added a proviso that I didn’t think Kate Middleton was adventurous enough in her fashion sense to go for a real fashion designer, as opposed to a safe option.

But I did make a point of the fact that the future Princess William of Wales (or however she will be styled) has a very good fashion insider as her future step-sister-in-law, the fashion writer Sara Buys, who is connected with Harper’s Bazaar.  A fact that seems to have been almost wholly ignored by the press. And guess who designed Sara Buys’ wedding dress? Why the house of Alexander McQueen.

The (London) Sunday Times Style section reports today, (and sticks as glue behind its story in the face of denials from McQueen) that Sarah Burton, Alexander McQueen’s right hand woman who replaced him at the helm of the house, has been chosen to design The Dress.

I am beside myself with excitement at the thought. Of course the house must categorically deny (& has done so) until the Palace makes a statement, but oh, oh please let it be true.There is no other high fashion label in this country that understands the melding of past costume history & present fashion thought in such glorious, yet ultimately controlled, original workmanship.

[And even if it turns out not to be Alexander McQueen, I am sure that it isn’t Bruce Oldfield. Although he is the ultimate aspirational choice for a Home Counties mum, I just can’t see him doing The Dress. But I do have a very strong suspicion that he may do the mother of the bride, and maybe the bridesmaid’s dresses.]

Photo: the mugs given to all schoolchildren in our village on the occasion of the marriage of the Prince of Wales & Lady Diana Spencer. (I found them in the attic last month.

Excitedly hoping this is true since I saw your tweet first thing this am!

Me too! Me too! LLGxx

I think AM seems just a bit less “crazy” since Sarah Burton took over. She has such a different nature and, while the clothes are totally edgy, the overall vibe is softer, IMO. Maybe this will predispose the Royal Family to approve the choice more easily?

I’m with you: she definitely appears to have a more romantic edge. I do love how she keeps to the spirit of the house whilst putting her own stamp on it. LLGxx

Oh, the excitement! In Australia there is still a tinge of embarrassment associated with the admission that one is following the Royal Wedding developments. Given the rather understated role of the Royal Family in Australian govermment, not to mention the Republican movement, its seen as a little naff to be faxcinated by The Royals. But I don’t care: I think the whole thing is terribly exciting, even just from a historical point of view.

And fingers crossed she chooses a McQueen dress.

Poppy xox

I agree completely: even as a spectacle, it’s fascinating, whether or not one cares about the monarchy or the people involved. LLGxx

I hope it’s true. It’ll be utterly fabulous!

I really hope it is Sarah Burton, that would be brilliant, but apparently it’s being denied all over the place.

Well, royal protocol demands that Clarence House are the first to make a statement, so any rumoured designer HAS to deny. So who knows?! LLGxx

I got that mug! I think a lot of the decoration has worn off in the dishwasher, though. Left at my dad’s house who is not exactly a deep respecter of things royal 😉

Ours were buried in a box in the attic and my mother wanted to boot sale them. NO way quoth I! LLGxx

Those mugs look so nostalgic. My mum has one similar – she drank coffee from it for years!

I love Alexander McQueen’s designs. Can’t wait to see what the dress will look like!