IMG-20101216-00267

So: that’s my life in New York, all packed up on two trolleys awaiting collection at my storage facility in Manhattan. Six suitcases, three duffle bags and three book cartons. Not a huge amount of stuff for four years in America, when all is said and done. I decided to use cases, as I had no furniture worth shipping (I scattered it all around Williamsburg on street corners, trying not to weep, for others to help themselves to in true New Yorker tradition.)

I was sitting in Ikea eating a dubious canteen lunch with my father two days ago when I heard that it had all finally cleared UK customs free of import duty and had miraculously been allotted a truck arriving in London TODAY (in ten minutes actually). Thank goodness we were already in Ikea, buying fingernail-breaking flatpack storage & wardrobes for the new apartment. Very good timing.

I keep wondering what on earth it all is & how the hell it’s all going to fit in the new flat. But then I examined the photo closely and of the six suitcases there are: a Globetrotter empty bar a rug (the locks pop so I didn’t dare fill it; it’s best used on car journeys), two small cabin wheelies containing magazines & tears from my editing & writing career, one big suitcase of clothes and two medium cases containing household things, kitchen equipment and office stuff. That’s not so bad.

One duffle is shoes & handbags (I know it looks a lot, but I did not pack scientifically, as I was stressed and lobbed it all in. And shoes with shoe trees in take up loads of space). One duffle is, I think cushions, throws & coathangers. A shedload of coathangers. Those things are EXPENSIVE and I worked out they were cheaper to ship than to replace. No idea whatsoever about the contents of third duffle. Winter coats, maybe: they take up a load of space.

Then three cartons. I’m thinking this must be books, all my Muji perspex storage without which my life spirals into unorganised hell, and all the random sh*t that I carted over from Williamsburg at the last minute in a frenzy of concern that I had too much for suitcases I was taking on the plane.

I spent several hours trying to persuade lil’sis to come over today with the Baddog to help watch me unpack but I don’t think I was successful, dammit.

Oooh what a pity I don’t live near you. I love a good unpack/voyage of discovery! Good luck with the process and enjoy your new home. Jx

Shame! LLGxx

*oh* but it will be wonderful to have everything in one place and it will be like getting a whole new wardrobe, the first 48 hours will be busy though!

I have so much stuff at my parents still, in garages and spare cupboards… I wonder if it will ever all be in the same place

I have FINALLY collected everything from all the places I have stashed from all around the world, and it feels gooooooood! LLGxx

Good luck unpacking! I discovered a treasure trove of things when I went back to my parent’s home/NYC storage closet. it is time to start living lighter!

I have got rid of a LOT of stuff, but there still seems to be a lot left…LLGxx

Wish you the best for your travel back to London!! 🙂

Thank you! LLGxx

I always bring back too much from the States. And I never thought of shipping it instead of paying for excess baggage on the plane! I have shipped furniture though and didn’t get charged any duty as it was my own personal stuff. You should have picked up some hangers at Ikea, the wooden ones are incredibly cheap. Can you give details on the Muji perspex storage you find so useful? I am envious of you living in the vicinity of Hampstead Heath. When I first got my dog we used to spend hours roaming the area and trying out all the different cafes. Maybe you could entice helpful unpackers over with some food?

If you have more than five cases, then it’s probably cheaper to ship. I have too many things to hang to use wooden hangers, unfort; I use the thin profile velvet hangers and metal clip trouser hangers. The Muji is just their simple perspex boxes. LLGxx

Ok, that’s not so bad! If i had to pack my entire life….my handbag pile would be that big! Cant wait to see the new flat 🙂

xo, L

hmm…it seems like a lot, believe me! LLGxx

Not bad AT ALL for 4-years! It must have been hard to part with favorite furniture peices, but you will have new treasures to search for now!

happy organizing, dear LLG! 😉

I *was* quite pleased with myself – and now it’s all unpacked it feels like so little…LLGxx