Screen shot 2011-03-01 at 11.40.29

So I’ve officially been in LLG Towers – okay, it’s actually more like a Hobbit hole, since it’s a proper old school servant’s entrance basement flat in a Georgian terrace, sorry, GARDEN flat, since the 6th Feb. But because I buggered off to New York for a week 48hrs later and then spent the week after that at London Fashion Week, I’ve barely had a chance to settle in properly.

When I looked around the flat back in November, and agreed to take it after a scant 5min recce, there was a family of four in residence in its two rooms, camping out whilst their house down the road was being renovated. The good thing was that without the family & their chattels there, I discovered that the flat was way bigger as I remembered. (Think twice the square footage of a West Village two bed apartment in just two rooms.) The bad was that there was no furniture, bar a fridge & oven, bed & an Ikea wardrobe, – not a problem in a teeny Hobbit hole, but rather more noticeable in quite a large one.

Unfortunately, when I sold my London flat back in August, I gave away most of my furniture & household stuff on FreeCycle, and all I have left are an art deco walnut bookshelf, a Herman Miller desk chair, a 1950s walnut cocktail cabinet and the mid-century walnut desk (hmm, do I sense a theme here?) I splashed out on last month. I bought a microwave and kettle from Argos down the road to get me through London Fashion Week, and a small freezer on eBay, but oh goodness the list goes on…mainly becauseĀ  I am hideously messy and I need a place for everything otherwise I live in squalor.

So, that means, since I am not a millionaire, I am now spending rather too much of my life between monitoring auctions on eBay and hopping it to Cricklewood Ikea. It doesn’t help that I have absolutely zero patience and want it all perfect RIGHT NOW. Unfortunately, the need to earn the money to pay for my decorating delusions of grandeur comes first, and I am resigning myself to the fact that two-seater sofas for my bedroom are a luxury not a necessity. (But aren’t these two I found on eBay perfect for a bedroom?)

Screen shot 2011-03-01 at 11.41.05

Are you aware that there’s a home furnishings version of TKMAXX at Staples Corner? They have bi-yearly drops of amazing vintage furniture and an indredibly weel-stocked kitchen wear section too. My mum introduced me to it a few weeks ago and I’m obsessed even though I don’t have my own place to furnish yet…

Oh LLG – I completely get it. I just (well, four weeks ago) moved into a new apartment, and have spent the last few weeks scrounging around eBay, Fantastic Furniture, IKEA and friends’ apartments for the bits and pieces required to create a home out of my new room. (I have two housemates, who have furnished the rest of the apartment to a serviceable standard.)

It’s taken me a couple of weeks to feel comfortable – but I am definitely settled in now. It won’t take too long, trust me.

All the best,
Poppy xox

Thank you – I def need reassuring right about now! LLGxx

Hello LLG,
I hope you will be very happy in your new home. However(as a neat freak) I am seriously concerned about your lack of cupboard space – have you bought or rented? If the former, then you should seriously (as unfortunately requires serious money) get some cupboards purpose-built, you will never regret it.
Best wishes, Rebecca.
PS. I have the number of an excellent chap who fitted out my lovely step-daughter’s flat.
PPS Not sure about those sofas.

Rented, so not an option. But thank you.

And isn’t it a good thing we all have different taste?! LLGxx

We had similar illusions of grandeur when we moved into our London flat. Now the white bedroom sofa is in storage as we couldn’t get it past a very narrow hallway.

Good luck!

Helena xx

I can’t get anything down my staircase, but fortunately the upstairs neighbours have a wide hallway and we are taking things through the garden! LLGxx

First one yum. 2nd one yuk. Jx

And in an unrelated post, you looked fab for a poorly girl in the BBC footage BTW Jx

Bless the BBC makeup artists and her half inch of camera friendly foundation LLGxx

I love both of these sofas – especially the first one, which is exactly what I’m looking for.

Never having used E-bay (I know!), can I ask how you came across it? I searched under two seater-sofa’s and tried to refine my search down as much as possible but kept coming up with pages of DFS type stuff – is there a knack or is it a case of just keep on looking?

Thanks x

Well, lil’sis is an eBay ninja! And that certainly helps. I think I just searched for colours to find these. I knew I wanted a silver velvet sofa…You need to narrow down yr searches. You can also use the – in front of a word to exclude it: so -dfs for example. LLGxx

Brilliant – thank you!

Didn’t know about the – sign. Would have been highly tempted if I were you to have bought at least one and eaten baked beans for a month or two.

Off topic, poor you re gmail – bet it gets more frustrating by the day. Fingers crossed they resolve it positively. xx

If I wasn’t furnishing the entire flat, I’d be so there! LLGxx

People seem to be in two minds about the second sofa but I really like it. What colour are you doing the rest of the bedroom? x

It’s white – and will prob stay that way as it’s a rental. Altho I wld prob go for a very faint gray if it were up to me LLGxx

I’m in the exact same, in a new flat and now that I’m no longer in a flatshare I get to decorate how I please, and I want it done now! I find myself distracted at work planning the perfect layout in what is a small flat. Trying to find the perfect mirror for over the mantel. On a side note I pinned the single seater version of the chair above in hopes of getting it one day soon šŸ™‚ http://pinterest.com/yhzgirl/livingroom/

As I’ve mentioned here previously, my flat flooded a week before my new house settlement happened, which needed renovations, so I was homeless for a month. Then the renovations started going wrong.

One headache after another. 4 weeks in and there’ still unpacked boxes galore, as I can’t find furniture I like. I have it in my head, but none of the stores have it.

Woe is me.

Oh poor you: that’s a complete nightmare. And I totally get the knowing what you want but can’t find it. Wah. LLGxx