One of my New Year’s Resolutions was to produce a lot more video in 2011 for the site, not just with me behind the camera, as with all my hotel films, but with me in front of it talking about things that interest me – and hopefully you…

For the first video with me in it I’m showing what I’ve been buying for my kitchen. Haul videos are huge in America, and usually feature girls going through their mall fashion shopping hauls in front of a webcam. I don’t like clothes shopping in person, (I’m more a Netaporter box arriving straight to my door on a bike kind of girl), so for this film I’m talking about the kind of shopping I really love: food shopping. No surprise there for my regular readers.

I’m setting up a semi-permanent base for LLG in London at the moment and that means kitting out new kitchen store cupboards from scratch. So on Sunday I headed to Wing Yip, a Chinese superstore on the North Circular (road) in London, and then came home and filmed my shopping in a friend’s kitchen. Here goes:

Wing Yip Chinese superstore, 395 Edgware Road, London NW2 6LN, 020 8450 0422

LLG, I think it is time for you to write a cookbook! I need to think of a catchy title. Very well presented! x -C

Thank you Carrie! You never know…! LLGxx

Love this video. I always feel completely overwhelmed by the choice in Chinese supermarkets but your advice is very useful. You should have a cooking show. x

Cat – thank you so much… and you are right it can be incredibly overwhelming; it’s taken me years to get to this point! And a cooking show, hmmm! LLGxx

Loved it!! Definitely a cook book by next Christmas.. please!!

ooh I wish! LLGxx

Love the film. Thank you.

I used to go to the big oriental shopping centre in Kingsbury. Did you ever go? Amazing place. Huge food hall downstairs with every kind of food from dim sum to sushi, great supermarket next door, and an amazing Chinese bakery, plus loads of other cool shops and restaurants. I always felt sorry for the guy selling Durian fruit, as they always made him have his stall outside! I tried to go back there last year but it has now closed, sadly.
x

No, I’ve never been there. It sounds like it was AMAZING! LLGxx

That was such an inspiring video.
I just forwarded it to my husband and we can’t wait to hop on a bus and go up there and fill our bags with cheap pak choi etc. 🙂

Thank you Mette! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. The shops around Gerrard & Lisle St in Chinatown are also good…LLGxx

Mmm lots of yumminess! I spend *far* too much money at my local Chinese supermarket!

Well, you can see from the video that I have exactly the same problem! LLGxx

Dearest Sasha,
I am so impressed with your articulate vocab & details provided on these food items, that are literally many of the staple items found in an ordinary traditional chinese household used on a regular basis (which I can vouch for, being (british born) chinese myself!) A big thumbs up!

I am glad you are introducing a food edition vlogs, i am such a huge foodie fan myself! I wanted to recommend my latest food find to you, Hazelnut Butter, have you come across this before? It is just wonderfully delicious! The ingredients are pretty friendly too, which is a huge bonus, roasted hazelnuts grounded to a smooth texture & Palm Oil. I like to spread it on oatcakes at the minute ^^ I also bought Almond Butter after my friends raved about it!

oh one thing I forgot to mention too, the ‘Maggi’ products at chinese supermarkets contain powdered shrimp which i steer clear of due to allergies and very true indeed, sesame oil tends to burn very quickly that makes it not a good cooking oil and used best as a dressing!

will look forward to your next food editions, can’t wait!

I was worried that people who really know about Chinese food would have some criticisms, that I may have made some unwitting mistake of comprehension, so it means a huge amount to get your approbation! Thank you so much, LLGxx

Yum. I already eat most of these things being a food addict but must try convolvulus. Love Wing Yip but it is so hard to get to on public transport, I usually go to See Woo in Chinatown instead.

Yes! See Woo is fantastic. I have to say it’s a great luxury having a car now. LLGxx

Watched this last night & had to answer the phone. When I returned, the cat was lounging & watching, purring. My new video-cam lacks a memory card or I would’ve captured. So funny. Thanks for the reminder about Asian markets. We’re really spoilt here in DC-area…huge #. And I always buy too much produce in a low-price-induced mania. Hope to go this weekend & I did not know about the veggie options in sauces. Thanks, LLG. xo

That’s brilliant! I love the idea of a feline fan! LLGxx

Used to go to Wing Yip when I was a little girl with my Mum (followed by Brent X trip). Am currently planning a home-made Chinese takeaway night (I loath actual takeaways) so I’m going to head over and get all the authentic ingredients at super cheap prices. Yum!

It’s so much nicer to cook Chinese food yourself, I think. Hope it goes well LLGxx