Pedicure margaret Dabbs store

It may come as a surprise to learn that podiatry is a discipline that doesn’t exist in every country — Japan for example doesn’t have podiatrists, yet looking after your feet is so very important.

Podiatry is a branch of medicine devoted to the study, diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the foot, ankle and lower leg: essentially what we used to call chiropody. But, unless you have diabetes (which comes with all manner of foot-related problems), it’s unusual for people to see a podiatrist as regularly as they wld say a dental hygienist.

Pedicures are all very well — and I have one at least every fortnight, yet beauticians do not have (in my experience) the knowledge to point out potential foot problems. In all the years I have been getting pedicures only once on either side of the Atlantic has a beautician pointed out a problem (I had a verucca that had gone un-noticed for months.)

And that is why  I love Margaret Dabbs in the UK: a proper podiatrist’s clinic, which gives you what the French would call a pedicure medicale, and it also has a beauty section so after you have had your feet checked over by a podiatrist, you can then have a proper pedicure, leaving with lovely painted nails.

Pedicure before pedicure after

pedicure during Pedicure margaret Dabbs scifi

I arrived with hooves, pure and simple (above left). After the podiatry treatment, they looked more like feet. (Above right)

And, sure enough, my podiatrist diagnosed several medical feet problems which were causing the dry skin on my toes & heels, for which several beauticians had tried to flog me expensive, essentially useless creams.

pedicure result

And I left with lovely, de-calloused feet, properly filed and painted toes and a general sense of proper well-being.

I’m also excited to hear that Liberty of London have joined forces with Margaret Dabbs to launch their first ever spa this month. On the lower ground floor, the Sole Spa will be a tranquil relaxation space specialising in foot care, along with Halo therapy, Reflexology, Foot Detox Baths and Aquatic Foot Therapies.

www.margaretdabbs.co.uk
7 New Cavendish Street, London W1G 8UU

Margaret Dabbs Sole Spa at Liberty,

Marlborough Street, London W1B 5AH
Telephone: 020 7494 4492

Deepest envy … I don’t think there’s anything this, umm, essential in the US. Your “hooves” look incredibly healthy and lovely.

Pedicures are so wonderful but sometimes one has to cross their fingers in hopes of not sharing any germs, viruses or microbes.

Yes! You do have to be careful: I got a fungal infection in Thailand having a pedicure and it took over a year to clear, LLGxx

Great news I’ve been wanting to have a proper medi-pedi for ages and not gotten around to it. Another wonderful excuse to visit Liberty! (as if I needed one)

“tis true: there is bever a need for an excuse to visit Liberty! LLGxx

That sounds great but I can’t stand the thought of having someone look at my feet! I have really REALLY ugly ‘trotters’ (as I call them) – it wouldn’t be fair to make someone look at them even if they were being paid!!

Love the nail varnish you chose for your pedi 🙂

But that’s the whole point! And you guarantee they’ve seen worse! LLGxx

Lovely polish, and I certainly agree with Margaret Dabbs’ address 😉

I do love a dark red in the winter – it feels festive… LLGxx

That sounds awesome! I wish my podiatrist offered pedicures when I went in for an appointment- it would make having feet problems less annoying. 🙂

The pod/ped combination is genius, and makes you wonder why more people do not offer it… LLGxx

sigh…all the more reason to live in London I say!

bisous

This is true! LLGxx

My feet are crying with want and need for a Margaret Dabbs! Wonder if there is anything like in Melbourne??? I hope so, I actually really like my feet (is that weird?) but would love to know how to get rid of that dry skin without having to exfoliate, buff and moisturize every three seconds. Great post LLG.
MFSxx

Shhhh…but apparently I had a fungal infection causing the dry skin on my heels…there you go…fungal cream was the answer… LLGxx

That sounds like a place I’d love to visit. Healthy AND pretty feet? Sounds like perfection!

Win win! LLGxx

I have to tell you it is my greatest indulgence … I must have a pedicure once every two weeks… I love it.. and I love to have pretty toes xx
Ps Love the colour

Me too…I feed odd if I don’t get my feet done….and thank you! LLGxx

i had a medi-pedi once and it was just amazing– my feet actually felt a half-size smaller in my shoes. i have not found anywhere in any of the three cities in the US (inc. NYC) that I’ve lived in that does that. if anyone knows anywhere, please share the info!

It’s odd isn’t it? Seems like such a sensible idea… I’ll keep my ears out for you love, LLGxx

Yes, LLG – please keep your ears open for us U.S. girls – I desperately want to hop on the pod/ped train! It sounds delightful, and is a genius idea. Thanks! 🙂