This is what I eat for breakfast every day, with a few variations. In summer the pomegranates are replaced with whatever fresh fruit is kicking around, but the moment pomegranate season starts, that’s what I use.

Bircher muesli is essentially oats soaked overnight in water, and served the next day with cream, lemon juice and grated apple.  My version sees me soaking grains in yogurt overnight, and adding fruit in the morning.

I always used basic oats, but spotted this Five Grain Cereal tub in the health food store last week: oats, rye, golden flax, barley and triticale which is perfect. (Lots more fibre, minerals etc.) I also add ground flaxseed (almost impossible to find in the UK but just sitting there in the store and excellent for your skin) and sunflower seeds. These plump up overnight with a great texture.

So two tablespoons of organic yogurt:

Two tablespoons grains, a dessertspoon of ground flaxseed and 2 teaspoons of sunflower seeds all mixed up. I either leave this overnight, or for at least an hour in the morning if I forget.

IMG_3595 IMG_3596

Then the pomegranate seeds: I use about 2 tablespoons – one whole fruit lasts me a week, so it’s not as time consuming as you may think: doesn’t take long to hack off enough for each bowl.

To be honest, it doesnt look that appertising,
however i LOVE all sort of ‘healthy’ and love experimenting too
i predict within a week of eating this daily you may see the difference.
please let me (& everyone else) know (on your blog) if you see the difference

I know the problems in finding half the things here in the UK however the is an increase in ‘health’ orientated shops, although theyre a bit too pricey even for some health freaks :p

keep bloging.. love it!

That looks very interesting, at least it would certainly wake you up in the morning and is really healthy!

that looks delicious and not unlike something you might get in Ottolenghi- but in your own home! you are very good to make this every day. I fail with breakfast and end up with either a shop bought yoghurt in the summer or porridge in the winter

You can actually often buy flaxseed meal in health food stores (here in London anyway.) It’s supposed to be a seriously good thing for breastfeeding women – so multipurpose for some people? Skin and milk!

I am not a huge fan of Muesli (usually eat it with banana) but this sounds pretty cool. Besides I love pomegranate, I think I may try it. Thank you for sharing. x

um…… yum! and so good for you. xx

yum! i should do this.
FYI: i read, ages ago, that one should use either whole flax seeds or ground them yourself before use because pre-ground flax seeds are extra susceptible to harboring parasites and promoting free radicals in the bodies….something about the way the natural oils react with exposure to oxygen (i think). not sure if that’s just health-food- preciousness or indeed true (maybe one of your other readers knows?). in any case, flax seeds also plump up over night when soaked and become much more edible than when raw and whole, so no need to go to hassle of grinding them.

Yep I second that Flaxseed is available in every health food store in London. Even boring old Holland and Barrett. x

The seeds of course, but I’ve not seen it pre-ground tho? LLGxx

YUM!!