Mummy clothkits

During my attic cleanse I discovered boxes of photos and endless bags of clothes. In quite a lot of cases, I realised that we still had the outfits that were appearing in the photographs. So I’m going to post a series of vintage photos accompanied by the clothes in the photos. (Modelled by me & lil’sis if I can bribe her with enough jelly beans/chocolate.)

I’m starting off with the Seventies photo above. It is of Muv & lil’sis in her Clothkits* smock. Unfort as lil’sis was under a year old at the time, she will not be modelling it. Here is a photo instead:

Clothkits baby dressClothkits detail

*We were big in Clothkits as infants: the Seventies clothing company that sold its designs as make-up-yourself packs, with the pattern stamped out on the cloth and all the notions neatly packed inside. The company re-launched a few years back (I wrote about them here), and they are going strong.They also make Liberty print bias binding.

Love, love, love.

My mum was also a huge clothkits fan and I still remember their designs clearly. Their new designs inspired me to write a piece on them for Domestic Sluttery and Mother’s Day (http://www.domesticsluttery.com/2010/03/domestic-slutterys-mums-take-over_11.html). I couldn’t find any photos in the Ambler family archives though, sadly. Your sister’s smock is gorgeous and looks just as fresh today.

My mum used to buy those, make my granny sew them up and then pretend she’d done them herself. Tee hee.
So sweet. Nostalgia!!!

You look so much like your mum!

utterly gorgeous. It is making me want to have another baby. God help us all.x

You are your mum could actually be twins if there was some kind of crazy time paradox thang.

Now if you still had those jeans… cripes. They look awesome. Sigh. The seventies were awesome.

Oh clothkits – I have so many happy memories of days dressed in their stuff, all lovingly sewn together by my mother!

Such cute photos!

such a beautiful photo- and how wonderful that you have shared it with all of us. beautiful mum and daughter. now some of you too, please. x shayma

Agree that you are the absolute spitting image of your mum. My mother made most of our clothes when we were small but she made her own patterns. Unfortunately none of them have survived.

This photo is so sweet and so is that smock- divine!