So, the first exciting thing of 2010 happening to LLG…I’m off to Copenhagen Fashion Week, as a guest of Danish silver house Georg Jensen.

As this is a press trip, this seems as good a moment as any to set out my ethics stall again. One of the joys of blogging, after years working as an editor, is that the decision about where I go and what I write about is completely in my gift.

Magazines have a duty to their readers to attend external events, launches, trips, to learn and then inform about the hot and the novel stuff out there. Blogging is different: to co-opt Sarah Churchwell’s brilliant phrase, the blogger is always the protagonist in the narrative, which takes away the imperative to chase the next big thing. It also helps that there are no advertisers to placate and that there is no sense of being obliged to accept invitations. Instead I can decline at will. Specifically MY will.

And, of course, given the global nature of on-line, the joys of wi-fi and being head of a department of me, I can travel at the drop of a hat, and still work wherever I go. (When I was on a magazine, press trips were a major commitment: they meant valuable time out of the office, and a disproportionate amount of attention lavished on a single brand, when I had hundreds with which to engage.)

So: it’s simple. I turn down more opportunities than I accept, & only go on press trips now if I personally like and admire the brand or label doing the asking. I’m certainly not going to take hospitality from companies that aren’t right for LLG and then pull the wool over my readers’ eyes by writing gush-y copy afterwards about something in which I do not believe, just for the sake of a free trip.

So, it’s off to Denmark I go next week. and I’m thrilled that it’s under the aegis of a brand of which I thoroughly approve. One of my passionate interests as an editor is jewellery from the 20th century, so the opportunity to both rummage through the Georg Jensen archives and see shows from labels including By Marlene Birger and Noir was far too tempting to turn down.

(The conversation at lunch today with the CEO of Georg Jensen went something like this:
“LLG: are you coming to Copenhagen Fashion Week next week? No? Would you like to? Great. We’ll arrange everything.”)

That was remarkably straightforward.

Love By Malene Birger!!! They fit so nice!! Lucky girl, have fun 🙂

Sounds lovely- you are lucky indeed 🙂

I am not Danish but I lived in Denmark – it is the best place on Earth (even Oprah says so;-)). I am certain you will enjoy all the lovely little boutiques and Danish design! Try their pastries and cakes – unbelievable! Also, read up on the concept of "hygge".

I must confess I am not the biggest fan of Danish fashion labels (with a few exception.
But for the first time in my life in Copenhagen I'm (unhappily) unemployed during Fashion Week and I would love to go have a look around.
I went through the schedule and it is really hard to choose.
Could I ask you for any suggestions?

Thanks 🙂 I hope you will enjoy it anyway.

Looking forward to reading about your experiences in my wonderful Country. But remember warm clothes – we have the coldest winter I can remember 🙂

Oh lucky you, I love George Jensen especially his early silverwear, I hope you have a fabulous time. I shall look forward to reading you posts on your Danish adventure.

WOW!Congratulations!Enjoy the opportunity!=)

Oh, Please excuse typos, am on French keyboard.

Can't wait to read all about it!!

x

have a great trip to my old home town. I hope the snow has melted 🙂 I just wanted to recommend one little shop, it's in the center, not too far from Georg Jensen. Zarah Voight specialises in theatrical plexiglass jewellery: Butik Zarah Voight, Gammel Mønt 23 (she has a website). It's such a unique shop w. a lot of personality. Also if you're going out in the evening, the Vesterbro area is cool. Sticks 'n' Sushi on Istedgade is one of my favourite sushi places and where I used to meet up w. my friends before going out. Nice decor and buzzing atmosphere. Mette