P1120124

Make-up artist Barbara Daly is a legend. She did the wedding make-up for Lady Diana Spencer, developed The Body Shop’s wildly successful Colourings make-up range and has worked with everyone from Grace Coddington to Cindy Crawford. She even has an OBE for services to the cosmetic industry. Her current venture, launched in 1998, is Barbara Daly Make-Up for Tesco, the British supermarket giant. US readers: think Walmart.

It’s been successful way beyond Tesco’s original plans, and that’s because the quality is exceptional at the (extremely) inexpensive price point. I’ve even heard rumours via Sharon Dowsett that much of it is produced in the same factory as Chanel’s color cosmetics.

P1120090

These varnishes are just £2.99 each. For that price and with these bright neon colours, I’d expect them to need at least two coats to get a non-streaky depth of colour. But! Look! No, not at my hideous stumpy fingers & the crappy attempt at painting my nails in manner of a hyperactive tween, but at the smooth, shiny, non-streaky colour from just one coat. Very impressive.

Because I didn’t want to look like the afore-mentioned tween (pink varnish: yes, green: er no), I then wiped off the colour using Polish Remover from natural brand Suncoat. Which, for an odour-free, biodegradable, corn & soya based product, is actually just as effective as acetone, and has the benefit of adding moisture, not leaching it as normal removers tend to.

Suncoat Nail Polish Remover £12.95; www.gentlebeauty.co.uk
Barbara Daly Make-Up for Tesco Nail Varnishes £2.99
Tesco branches which stock Barbara Daly cosmetics here

Hi there. Love the pink and I know my daughter will love the green and blue!

This is the first time I've commented here after discovering LLG at the end of last year. I'm working my way through the archives – 'in-between' working and loving them.

I took great pleasure in voting for you and look forward to reading you each day. Thank you!

I've heard ALOT about Barbara Daly's Tesco range but assumed that it was all hype, I was pleasantly surprised when I decided to test a few bits and pieces out 🙂

Gorgeous and cheap, just like me!

Big fan of the tinted moisturiser from this range- I don't really wear foundation except on very special occasions/ bad skin days but I do use this mixed with Dr Hauskha cream and really like it- also the price is ridicously good. One of my favourite things about out of town shopping is stocking up on the moisturiser actually! Will look up the nail colours next time I'm there- have used some of the other bits and bobs and liked them but not as much as the miracle cream.

will definitely look up the remover too- I always really worry what acetone is doing to my flesh! In fact I always polish remove before getting in the bath because I figure hot water will wash badness away!

Hello Em! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It really is enormously appreciated. As is your bothering to go back to read my archives. Thank YOU! ( And thank you for voting too.) LLGxx

Perfection & Rose: I've been generally impressed too. I've got a pot of the miracle cream to try too. I'll get back to you on that

That'sNotMyAge: Hilarious!

LLGxx

I love bd’s work with make-up she has done a good job i recomend this make-up to enyone.X

I agree: she’s amazing! LLGxx