I spent Sunday morning sliding from one side of Hampstead Heath to the other. My proper treaded snow boots are in New York, and the leather riding boots I have been wearing are size 6 death traps.

Happily Wardrobe Slave was wearing her sensible snow boots.

Hampstead Heath snow

Sturdy, waterproof, and with proper grippy soles, her boots let her stride happily along, to the accompaniment of my wails as I clung onto her elbow with a grip of iron, trying not to go arse over tit as a deliriously over-excited Zelda (black lab) cannoned into the backs of my legs.

Then, as yet again I began to describe an arching fall, my jaw dropped as I saw the label on the side of her boots. Who’d have thought such sensible footwear came from the home of the tart’s trotter?

Hampstead Heath snow

However Wardrobe Slave would like it known that her dedication to style does not stretch to needing to wear Gucci in the snow. These lovely boots cost her a mere £50 in the Gucci sample sale.

I could've done with those on the walk (which felt more like an expedition) to nursery today.

In my town we seem to be suffering a Welly shortage so my feet keep getting soaked in my old Emu Uggs (yes I know you hate them but they serve a purpose for cold mummy feet).

Shuffles off in embarrassment.

🙂

Who knew?!?! This certainly surprised me.

No way! Chic and sensible!

Would you or she be able to share any details on the Gucci sample sale?

I must also add they were from the height of the TF era at Gucci so they must be around a decade old but they have been one of my better purchases! Cheers for the mention LLG!

I feel your pain, LLG. I have also been skidding around like a complete WALLY in leather boots whilst intermittently scouring the High Street and the internets for jaunty snow boots – HUH ! Such has been my distress that I have taken to wearing socks over my boots. Not a good look, admittedly, but vanity has, sadly, gone right out of the window. Note to self: buy delicious snow boots at first available opportunity in the autumn. I may not have snapped a limb so far this winter but now have major sensible winter footwear envy. Who would ever have seen that coming?

Predictably, now that the snow is melting a tad my ICE GRIPS have just arrived. Less naff than the woolly sock look but nothing less than Gucci will do now. Pah.

Lovely. Yes, Maxine is absolutely right: grab snow boots when you see them. I'm suffering leaky snow boots, they are old but still look rather nice, if subdued. I remember buying them on an August afternoon (in DC, so freaking hot & humid) downtown on a deadline break. A friend protested (there was a sale on & a bit of a line but these were not on sale)…along the lines of "are you effing kidding?" As in, let's do something else, why are you bothering? But I remembered that a very sleek & chic (not flashy) person I knew, years before, always looked great when the rest of us were shlubby in the rain/snow. 'Twas the boots. She told me to grab them when you could, not all stores stocked these things or very many. That was pre-Internet shopping, etc. Not many sample sales for shoes/boots back then either. But I'm looking….

(Poor Insomniac Mummy–don't shuffle in embarrassment. One does what one can with what one has at the moment.)

Cheers LLG

Oh lucky girl, it's sooo painful to fall a over t on ice.

Gucci snow boots… what a surprise indeed! I need a pair of those. Love the blog!

i want, no. i need those.
i keep slipping up in my moccasins!

Wht lovely boots. Surprised Gucci makes something so practical