I found this iconic issue of The Face from July 1990 in the attic, along with the Depp & Kylie covers I posted last week. The cover and topless image are reproduced constantly, but I don’t recall seeing the others recently, so thought I’d scan them for your edification.

Kate Moss was fifteen when she shot the story, styled by Melanie Ward, which launched her career. The photographs were taken on Camber Sands in England, a traditional seaside resort, and were astonishing for their raw, verité feel; an antidote to the glossy Vogue supermodels. The images were seen by Fabien Baron, and Moss’s relationship with Calvin Klein began. It’s difficult to over emphasise how influential this story was at the time.

They are still one of my favourite fashion shots ever! One of the most beautiful faces… Wishing you a happy and well organised start to the year. Sabine x

It's so nice to see these pictures again. Kate looks absolutely beautiful. I can't quite believe they're 20 years old! xx

how typical of me to be sending my sister-in-law to a now-defunct den… whoops. ammended. thanks for that! x

She looked beautiful there!

I love this editorial. I vividly remember when it first came out, especially all the cries of "Heroin Chic" that ensued. Which is strange, because I remember at the time thinking she did look a bit too thin, but looking at the pics now, she looks like quite a healthy, normal 15 yr old. Was it all those decriers that convinced me she looked like a junky? Or have models become progressively thinner so as to make these pics now look like comparatively healthy images?

The start of something huge!!
Love these photos!

What an awesome magazine edition to find in your attic!

Happy New Year to you too xx

She looks so impossibly fresh faced. I also love that the pictures are not overly posed. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! 20 years ago? I feel so old!

I used to buy The Face sometimes when I was a magazine addict. That and Select magazine were my favourites when I was at Uni……along with the plethora of others I couldn't resist!

Kate was so young in the pictures!

🙂

That's one of my all-time favorite covers! Kate looks like a child, which I guess she was, really, and so refreshingly un-styled.