Kate Moss by Corinne Day in The Face 1990

by Sasha Wilkins on January 2, 2010 · 40 comments

I found this iconic issue of The Face from July 1990 in the attic, along with the Depp & Kylie covers I posted last week. The cover and topless image are reproduced constantly, but I don’t recall seeing the others recently, so thought I’d scan them for your edification.

Kate Moss was fifteen when she shot the story, styled by Melanie Ward, which launched her career. The photographs were taken on Camber Sands in England, a traditional seaside resort, and were astonishing for their raw, verité feel; an antidote to the glossy Vogue supermodels. The images were seen by Fabien Baron, and Moss’s relationship with Calvin Klein began. It’s difficult to over emphasise how influential this story was at the time.

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

Jem January 2, 2010 at 21:30

wow! beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing them. these photos show that some people always have that certain special quality, kates always had it! :)

WendyB January 2, 2010 at 23:58

She was so young and fresh…too young to be topless, actually!

Poppy Gets a Life January 3, 2010 at 00:41

Gosh, is she really smoking on page one? How times have changed.

I love the fact the photos are in black and white as well.

Poppy xox

Blue Floppy Hat January 3, 2010 at 01:52

I'm slightly green with jealousy at the fact that you have the issue. Not that I could have gotten my hands on it, or realised just what it was at the time (I was five years old). And it's telling that, even twenty years later, that shoot doesn't look dated.

Milijana January 3, 2010 at 02:10

Hi LLG!

I somehow stumbled upon your blog last week and have since read the whole (yes, every word) thing!

Love your writing style and adventures!

notSupermum January 3, 2010 at 02:57

The Stone Roses at Spike Island (on the cover)? I remember that very well, I heard the whole thing sitting in my back garden!

Random Fashion Coolness January 3, 2010 at 04:37

I used to subscribe to The Face magazine & Sky magazine (pre-satellite, non TV guide!) as a teenager. I had them piled up behind my bedroom door. On returning home after
my first term at uni, literally out of the house for 2 months, I was dismayed to see they'd all disappeared! Mum had given some to the local hairdresser (must have been a change from Chat & Take A Break ;) & the rest were taken up the rubbish tip! I was horrified!!! This was one of the best covers & as you said, pioneering in the direction fashion was about to take. Great post. Thank you x

diamondsinchampagne January 3, 2010 at 04:47

She is so gorgeous. I have to say though, I think she has gotten even better with age. So very rare!

That's Not My Age January 3, 2010 at 05:05

Wow – can't believe that that was 20 years ago!

Allegra January 3, 2010 at 05:24