I found this iconic issue of The Face from July 1990 in the attic, along with the Depp & Kylie covers I posted last week. The cover and topless image are reproduced constantly, but I don’t recall seeing the others recently, so thought I’d scan them for your edification.

Kate Moss was fifteen when she shot the story, styled by Melanie Ward, which launched her career. The photographs were taken on Camber Sands in England, a traditional seaside resort, and were astonishing for their raw, verité feel; an antidote to the glossy Vogue supermodels. The images were seen by Fabien Baron, and Moss’s relationship with Calvin Klein began. It’s difficult to over emphasise how influential this story was at the time.

wow! beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing them. these photos show that some people always have that certain special quality, kates always had it! 🙂

She was so young and fresh…too young to be topless, actually!

@WendyB: Moss also talks about how uncomfortable she was posing nude when she was young. Remembering her now classic photo shoot with Corinne Day for The Face, Moss says, “I see a 16-year-old now, and to ask her to take her clothes off would feel really weird. But they were like, If you don’t do it, then we’re not going to book you again. So I’d lock myself in the toilet and cry and then come out and do it. I never felt very comfortable about it. There’s a lot of boobs. I hated my boobs! Because I was flat-chested. And I had a big mole on one. That picture of me running down the beach—I’ll never forget doing that, because I made the hairdresser, who was the only man on the shoot, turn his back.”(Vanity Fair, 10/2010)

Gosh, is she really smoking on page one? How times have changed.

I love the fact the photos are in black and white as well.

Poppy xox

I'm slightly green with jealousy at the fact that you have the issue. Not that I could have gotten my hands on it, or realised just what it was at the time (I was five years old). And it's telling that, even twenty years later, that shoot doesn't look dated.

Hi LLG!

I somehow stumbled upon your blog last week and have since read the whole (yes, every word) thing!

Love your writing style and adventures!

The Stone Roses at Spike Island (on the cover)? I remember that very well, I heard the whole thing sitting in my back garden!

I used to subscribe to The Face magazine & Sky magazine (pre-satellite, non TV guide!) as a teenager. I had them piled up behind my bedroom door. On returning home after
my first term at uni, literally out of the house for 2 months, I was dismayed to see they'd all disappeared! Mum had given some to the local hairdresser (must have been a change from Chat & Take A Break 😉 & the rest were taken up the rubbish tip! I was horrified!!! This was one of the best covers & as you said, pioneering in the direction fashion was about to take. Great post. Thank you x

She is so gorgeous. I have to say though, I think she has gotten even better with age. So very rare!

Wow – can't believe that that was 20 years ago!

aw, she's such a cutie