When we went shopping at Delicious Orchards for all the ingredients for Y’s birthday dinner we saw these courgette (squash) blossoms on our way to the till:

Y was looking longingly in their direction so, ignoring the $9.99 sign we picked out eight of them. Which ended up costing a breathtaking $1.50.

I’d dredged up a memory of seeing them stuffed with ricotta, then shallow fried. So I beat together ricotta with an egg, & salt & pepper and added some cooled down sautéed minced mushrooms with garlic and thyme to add a little bite.

Stuffing them with a teaspoon is messy, and I’ll use an icing bag next time, but eventually I got the flowers filled (and the counter decorated with) the ricotta mixture. I made a simple tempura batter with a cup of cold water, a cup of flour & an egg, mixing it together so there were still some lumps in the mixture. Then, holding each flower by the stem, they (& my fingers) were coated in the batter and then fried three at a time in an inch of hot oil.

They worked out fine, light & cheesy & crispy, with a little bite of courgette at the stem end, but next time I will add some finely grated Parmesan and some soaked chopped porcini to the ricotta mixture for a more intense flavour.

Grilled cheese, salad, vinaigrette, courgette flowers – not one of my finer food pictures, but you get the idea…

I wish I was a better cook…I love eating but I'm not a natural cook 🙁 These sound blissful.

yum yum yum. the only time I've had stuffed courgette flowers was on a restaurant off carnaby street and damn were they good. lots of appreciation for all your food pictures! xx

I grow courgettes and have stuffed them with just ricotta, egg yolk and fresh thyme & lots of black pepper. I roast them for a few minutes with olive oil in the oven and they are yummy. I'll try mushrooms & the batter next time when I have a glut of the flowers. But you're right, it's a messy business.

this looks a lot to a Jamie Oliver's recipe, it looks mouthwatering! good job 🙂

courgette flowers are so nice, I had some the other day. stuffed with goat's cheese, deep fried and cover with little honey. absolutely amazing!

Yes, parmesan should give the overall flavour a bit more body. And Sneakypagpie's recipe sounds… mm, mouth-watering. Shame about the deep-frying, though.

Not really sure how much it was deep fried…the courgette was still crunchy and firm, this is the pic: