I’ve been feeling rather homesick, partly because however much I miss London, moving back home is not an option. And, being a contrary person, generally I want what I can’t have.

With almost every long-term English friend now involved with bringing up their delightful children, my life would be utterly trammelled by the schedules of their multitudinous offspring. And, whilst I don’t want every activity out to be subordinated to the need to relieve the babysitter/husband/nanny, neither do I want to make new friends. I like the ones I have, thank you very much. So, until the disparity in the way we live our lives evens out, London is not going to work for me. Which could well mean forever given that the last time I met a man I really properly liked was at least two years ago.

New York is just so much more conducive to being single. Naturally a loner, (I blame boarding school – it left me with a perpetual need to be away from the pack), living in the centre of everything is less alienating for me. In London, working from home all day means doing so in a residential area, and dragging myself to the shops or a restaurant is either a fifteen minute walk minimum, or braving public transport. So, being extremely unmotivated, I never go out. When everything I need from grocery store to Urban Outfitters is within a couple of blocks there’s just no excuse here for holing up.

And, of course, you aren’t alone here. New York is full of single people, and even the ones in couples go out more. The concentrated nature of Manhattan means that leaving the house isn’t the performance that it is in London, (yellow taxis are a quarter of the price of a Black Cab), so you can be somewhere interesting in ten minutes from pretty much anywhere in this city.

Plus no one really entertains at home in Manhattan, so it’s considered perfectly normal to gather in restaurants here, which means the eternally single aren’t doomed to being the odd man out at laborious dinner parties with disgusting food and then having to drag their drunken bodies home alone half way across London in a twenty quid cab.

So. I’m going to start thinking about the very small things (moments of grace) that make my life more pleasurable over here, and maybe I’ll stop pining for dog walking & advanced ball throwing on Hampstead Heath & Primrose Hill, the Ladies Pond & Gospel Oak Lido, fairy cakes not cupcakes, proper Indian & Chinese takeaways, Daunt’s books in South End Green, Kingsland Road Vietnamese, driving a car, cycling on streets without potholes, Hot Cross Buns, real Cadbury’s Creme Eggs (not the Hershey’s imposters they flog here), very dry wit, my friends’ children, bicycling down the canal to Shoreditch from Camden, Sunday lunch, my lovely kitchen, and a proper London spring.

(BTW I blame lovely Belgian Waffling for enhancing the pining. Although I draw the line at missing the tube & Benjy’s coffee.)

Can't really offer any crumbs of comfort, but, can send M&S Hot Cross Buns, which are plentiful and abundant (sorry) here at the mo. A little piece of London ish.

it is hard to be a transplant! but ny has so many great things to offer. i also love london. humph.

Bless you! Fortunately JK is flying to London today and picking up emergency supplies. I will have Buns by Sunday. Hurrrah! LLGxx ( and possibly a Creme Egg too)

Aaaah. London’s looking beautiful today in the pale sunshine. But you’re right – NYC sounds like it’s where you need to be at the moment. Such an amazing city. Love your blog!

It’s amazing how everybody misses Daunt’s books – it’s a constant in all our ‘homesick for London’ moments. Not surprising as it is the best bookshop EVER.

The thing to cling to about not living in London when all your friends do is that they so rarely see each other. I live in Wales and see more of my London friends than they see of each other!

Dahling, just give your mate maliksta a ring a ding ding on the “dog and bone” I’ll give you some London Love.. thats my 2nd home..
talk soon?
xoxoxo

dahling.. whenever you get sad, just give maliksta a buzz. well home-sick that is. I’ll go have a pint with ya anyday. perhaps you were homesick because nobody gets a trashed on st pattys like here in new york and you wonder whats thepoint? he he he

Hello's…I do hope you get over your home sickness sooney, hun.
Hey like you mentioned, think of the pennies your saving on rubbish london transport, of which is now even more eye watering & expensive, I swear!X
PeAcE & BoWs…
prettyneOnsx =)

When you’re homesick things always seem more attractive at home, but just think of the things you don’t miss! e.g. The congestion charge; Boris Johnson; poor service in shops; the weather; etc.

I can always tell you about my daily commute on the Tube if you get too homesick! Or how long it takes to get around even if you do have a car/someone to drive you and a SatNav…. I love London but this is one of the things that make me need to escape to the country from time to time. Oh, and how long it takes to queue at the post office with other people’s kids screaming. )-:

Enjoy NY and visit London so you get the best of both worlds…