It takes a lot to stop me in my tracks, but this did it. BASTARDS. Evil bike thieves had tried to use the weight of the bike as leverage to bust the D lock. Props to K Mart for my $12.99 lock which didn’t snap. However, not only did they leave my bike hanging off a signpost, they jammed the lock, in addition to bending the wheel out of shape, and screwing up the gearing.

Fortunately John from Great Used Bikes was on his weekly mission into the city with a van full of bikes on Sunday, so stopped by St Mark’s and literally melted the lock off the signpost with a flame torch thing. Most impressive. Sadly my wheel is beyond repair, so he’s done a bodge job for me to ride around on this week, and is bringing me a new wheel next Sunday. Now that’s what I call good customer service. I am thrilled: not least because I don’t have to rely on the charlatans at the bike shop around the corner who charged me $5 to put air in my tyres last month.

It’s great they didn’t get away with it! I built my own bike about 8 years ago and had it stolen no less than two weeks later. that was the worst.

Spectating from Blighty, I am a little confused. I thought that Noo Yoickers didn’t cycle, so why is there so voracious an appetite for stealing bicycles in Manhattan? It’s not as if your bikes are any good! Isn’t this your third to have been nicked/targetted? A philosophical blogue beckons.
Enjoy wobbling!

well they didn’t get you or the bike so thats the important part.

thought you might enjoy the baskets and helmets links.

baaaaastards indeed! glad they didn’t take the bike though…

Damn; that’s a bit harsh! At least they didn’t get it.

I’m not into bikes but for some reason it always makes me feel really sad when I hear about people getting their bikes nicked 🙁

once it starts it never stops.
more fashionable helmet concepts.

no more bog standards for the girl about town.