This is the back view of the pretty black lace overlaid silk party dress by Anna Sui which I wore last night. It was reduced to $88 from $249 in the Lord & Taylor sale on Fifth Avenue. Even more pleasing to discover that it is currently for sale unreduced here at Netaporter for $249/£165.

Sales over here are nothing like they are in London. Lord & Taylor has not just marked down a load of stuff by 30%, they’ve got another 50% off the already reduced stock, and the lovely assistant gave me a further 20% off the total. Remarkable. (I didn’t mean to buy anything, honest guv.)

But, somehow I ended up with a bronze shutter pleat, Hervé Leger-ish, body con cocktail dress by the pageant dress king, Tadashi, for $80 from $348, a dark cream Tara Jarmon coat for $120 from $510 and, bizarrely, a brown jersey princess line dress from a diffusion line called OC by Oleg Cassini. (A bargain $30). I had no idea one could still buy Oleg Cassini, much less that a (to be honest, gobsmackingly tacky) diffusion line existed.

My gosh it’s gorgeous! I am so jealous!

Beautiful dress! yes, I agree that the sales here beat anything in Europe (never mind if you’re paying in pounds or euros!)

Reminder to self: must go shopping in NY! During sales! After a Xmas bonus. Only I don’t get Xmas bonus. Still, must must must do the NY sales!

Wow, that’s a bargin. Lovely dress!

Lord and Taylor is AMAZING. I was so worried when they switched hands about a year ago that their legendary sales would be gone, but they haven’t changed which is great. I got a Calvin Klein leather coat there for $75 once.

Lovely! I adore a great black dress.

I was out shopping two days ago: Jones New York blazer, $199.00 originally, $19.90.

This item had been full price at the beginning of Feb. I had a chat with the salesgirl; she said I was her first customer all day and that she’d been standing around for eight hours twiddling her thumbs.

I did not know Oleg had a diffusion line. Of course he was king of licensing so I’m not surprised.