I’m a hack. Of course being a brilliant one, I try not to make factual errors. But generally, if I do, they get weeded out by my editors. If they miss them, then subs fact check rigorously, & then make squiggly marks all over the page proofs to highlight my idiocy. And, even if something misses their eagle eyes, then there are dummies & page proofs & chromalins & all the myriad versons of a mag that float around the office being read by editorial & art & production before it goes to print.

So someone please explain to me why no one at British Vogue noticed that, in the January 08 issue, American designer Geren Ford is described as being male? She can’t be too chuffed that they have decided that fashion designers had better just be men…

haha… well, that can’t be any worse than thinking jil sander is a woman.

oh dear.

also… because of my last name, and city i live in(san francisco), most people think i’m chinese until they meet me.

This is the modern cultural illiteracy at work! Geren Ford was just too close to GerALD Ford, our somewhat dull 38th President.

And GerALD, of course, is a man.

Who’d a thunk?

Whoops!

That’s pretty outrageous… I have a minirant about UK Vogue and the like coming up on the blog that you and Mrs Fashion might be able to enlighten me about…

Oops!

oh dear, what a mistake… more serious because they should know better.
If it was me… well I’m not in the business…

Yikes…was this a mistake that ran through the article? Surely that’s odd, if she was interviewed..

Oh gosh!

British Vogue is getting worse and worse for this kind of thing.

Does anyone remember their misspelling of Keira Knightley – on the COVER – a little while back?

And I swear not an issue goes by without a really excruciating typo, even just in the captions: geeky, but I’ve spotted “Mui Mui”, “asisted” and “Jill Sander”, all in the past six months or so.

On a newspaper there is necessary chaos, haste and speed (yet, hmm, such mistakes are really rarely made, even when a news desk sub-editor goes through a fashion page – this is not about specialist knowledge); but on a monthly, when at least ten pairs of supposedly hawk-like eyes will oversee every page – and at the very least, Alex Shulman’s – there is really no excuse, I think.

Oh god, I remember “typos” like that that were missed during writing, editing, layout, rounds, blueline and everything else.

A writer on my team made a “huge, politically-incorrect supercalifragilistic bomb-o” at my mag the year before I quit. There was no way in the world he could have known he was making that error, as he was too new to the company to have any idea of the “political” ramifications of his “error,” which was, in fact, harmless. He was nearly fired over it, and a new EveryoneInTheCompanyMustReadAllCopy policy was instituted, bogging down the process to a farethewell.

The poor guy.

I’m lucky I was the Art Director and not an editor; I escaped unharmed. But I felt terrible for him, and everyone got so paranoid over the incident that we racked up hundreds of extra dollars on blueline changes.

I quit working in publishing soon after. Sometimes, I’m so glad I quit. But sometimes, I think I’d like to go back.

that’s whack.