Susie Bubble ran a post this week about her disinclination to wear makeup/do grooming. It struck an enormous chord with me as I ran around Vogue House for the whole of my 20’s not giving a damn. British Condé Nast admires the individual fashion statement & immaculate grooming tends to be viewed with suspicion in the young. I made a religion out of just not caring about beauty & grooming. I got so much free stuff that I never needed to enter a Beauty Hall, although I gave most of it away to my friends. My mother used to lunch with me and despair at my long un-blow dried hair & shiny face. “Darling, you really should be wearing foundation.” The only time I ever got a blow dry was for a big work party, using my Condé Nast discount at Mahogany (the salon opposite Vogue House where everyone goes for lunchtime remedial work.)

Then I hit my late 20s. Those continual late nights & endless vodka, lime & sodas in Soho House & the Groucho started to show on my face and, even tho I have great skin, it started to need some help. And then my hair started to look wrong too. The insouciant, hedge backwards, tousled look no longer worked with my almost 30-something-ness.

I started to make sure it was always brushed and shiny, & when straightened hair was all the rage, I was laughing as my hair is naturally poker straight, but the moment straightened hair came off the catwalks & into the mainstream I bought some heated rollers, a round brush and a hairdryer. Thus my initiation into the world of hair maintenance. My saviour has been Liana at Markos in Hampstead who shoved me to bake under the helmet dryer with my hair in tight rollers. A Blackberry-filled hour later I would have cascading curls, which an hour or so later would soften into gentle waves. (She’s a great cutter too – £20, bargain.)

Now I’m in New York I have yet to find someone who can deal with my hair so, much against my inclination, I blow dry if I am leaving the house, and rather admire my salon selectives bounce. I still fucking hate doing it tho, but truth is, you can’t wing it over 30….

Yes, there comes an age when the no-makeup look just doesn’t work, and I fear I’ve arrived there. A little concealer, eyeliner, and lipstick are essential. With a big mop of curly hair though, I can’t blow dry or I come out with a foot-tall afro.

I agree! This week I’m turning 35 and I allways need at least a bit of mascara!

Thanks for the comment, I had a major moment of mush when I first read it. And I’ve added you to my blogroll, hope that’s cool 🙂
I’m turning 23 next week, and makeup and blow-dryers are still pretty much the heart of darkness to me. I suppose I’ll have to start using stuff to some extent when I start working, but till then…

I never leave my house without wearing make-up, apart from weekends that is. I find it a necessity as I look about 16 without it on. Foundation, mascara, eye shadow and lip gloss do me just fine.

ha. i have the same dilemma. i have never been much of a product girl when it comes to my hair. and like you it’s straight as a board.

a year and a half ago ihad hair down to my back…called my hairdresser (whom i had been w/ for 5 years) and said i want it all off. she did an amazing job. she is the only one in the world i would trust to do this.

now, i’m moving back to boston…and i swear one of my main reasons for staying in sf was for her haircutting skills. i’m scared to death about what i’ll do now…

looks like long weekends out to sf every 6 weeks are in order.

I will cling to my no make up look – perhaps I am just lazy but more likely it is because it is so anti-fashion. Besides – when you look as fab as we do – hon we don’t need it!!!! (no honestly you don’t need it – really – no really really.)

Aging bites. My problem right now isn’t hair so much as that my skin decided it is finally time to enter puberty. In my teens and twenties I never had a pimple, now I’m Queen of the Hyper Spot (when it looks like I’m a fledgling unicorn about to sprout a horn). Hmmm, I might have to post on my gripes. Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

in ny? krister atle is a sweetheart AND a good cutter (i think he’s $120 though…)
http://www.kristeratle.com – his contact info is insanely pale, on the bottom right corner of the page

oh, and re. being over 30… thanks for the reminder to swipe on some lipstick once in a while.

Well thank God for short hair I say. Don’t know what I would do without Hayley from Cuts, she’s my saviour!